Norwegian Star Cruise Review by casey2131: Norwegian Star is not a star at all

casey2131
Member Since 2011

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Star Western Caribbean Cruises

Norwegian Star is not a star at all

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Tampa

First of all, the parking. This was our fault, we tried to save a few bucks by parking with a parking service called Premier parking. What a mistake, don't do it. They parked us 2 miles away from where they originally said they would park us and packed us into a van like a bunch of circus monkeys to bring us back to the original spot. We then had to walk a mile to the Norwegian port with all of our bags. Pay the extra money and parked across the street.
And now, for the cruise. We are not complainers and have never complained about any other cruise line we have been on, but we are avid cruisers so our standards are high. If you are a first-time cruiser you may not know the difference between the quality of cruises.

I will try to keep this short and sweet but it will be hard. When we got on the boat we were not welcomed by a grand atrium we were thrown into a outdated, packed to the gills buffet line where we could not even sit down. The crew was unknowledgeable. When More asking a crew member that was just outside the elevator of our deck where our room was, we were sent in the wrong direction twice. The cabin size was adequate, but the air broke down on the second day and the TV was from 1910. The two movie channels on the TV were so black you could not see their faces. Called for maintenance, no response. The ship took up 8 of the 17 channels, the rest were news. The ship was dirty and we hardly ever saw anyone cleaning. Our stateroom window was so dirty we can hardly see out it. The food and the buffet was the same food every day. Several bathrooms were out of service in the common areas.

You had to pay extra to eat at four of the seven restaurants. The food outside the buffet was okay. Getting back to the buffet, the milk was sour on both sides of the restaurant and had to be changed after several complaints by diners, the glass trays were always empty, and I found it funny that the chicken noodle soup had no chicken at all. As a matter of fact any of the soups that had food in the name really didn't have any in the soup.
When we ordered food to our stateroom the dishes would stay in the hall for days.
Well that's all I can think of for now. I'm sure if my wife was here we would come up with some more things we didn't like about this cruise.
One of the good things about the ship is if there's only two of you, you can dine alone, not with a table full of strangers. The entertainment was pretty good too.
Side notes: Do not try to bring alcohol on the boat. They confiscated over 200 bags from people.
Another major factor for me was that the pool was salt water. I have been on several cruises where there is a freshwater pool, this one isn't, so if you like freshwater, you're out of luck.
In closing, I would not recommend this cruise line. If this boat has this kind of protocol I'm sure the rest of the ships are the same.

Royal Caribbean is to we will be sticking with in the future. Less

Read more Norwegian Star cruise reviews >>