Majesty of the Seas Cruise Review by cdn1sttimer: Not life altering by any means

cdn1sttimer
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Majesty of the Seas Bahamas Cruises

Not life altering by any means

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Bahamas

Just got back from my first cruise and I enjoyed the cruise but did not love it so much that I want to go right back on another one. First off, I can't say enough about how nice the staff on the Majesty of the Seas were to me. Everyone spoke and smiled every time you passed in the hall. My room steward did a fantastic job keeping my room clean and stocked with fresh towels and ice, morning and night. I was travelling by myself so the room was more than what I needed. I would not want to have more than 2 people in that room but I did see families of four in cabins.
The Casino was small and really not much going on there at any time other than late at night. Just as well, that is where the cruise line makes all their money! The price I paid for my cruise, they have to make it somewhere!!!
Internet on the cruise ship is 65 cents a minute so leave the computer at home and enjoy your vacation!

Food was good, although I was expecting it to be more readily available. More It seemed at times that lots of places were closed, but maybe that was just me, after all there were places on the ship that I did not even discover until the last night. (and its a small ship) I chose to eat at the Windjammer buffet each night and there was NEVER a problem finding a table to sit down. I should mention that I also ate at Johnny Rockets, and not much has to be said about that place...its Johnny Rockets - awesome Burger - Fry - Milkshake kinda place.

Ports of Call - COCO CAY is an fully owned by RC Cruise Lines and as such they own all the excursions. The day we were there the water was a bit ruff and most of the water excursions were cancelled. COCO CAY is nothing more than a beach day, so dont expect a whole lot and you wont be disappointed. I enjoyed my day there very much laying in a hammock and walking the beach when the tide went out. The shuttle boats that take you from the ship to the island are very efficient and get you across quickly. I was a little skeptical when I first saw them coming across from the island rocking back and forth but it truly was a piece of cake for the weakest stomach! (mine) Everyone should check out the island and if its not for you, hop on the next shuttle boat and head back to the ship. I spent the whole day there lounging around and it felt GREAT!

NASSAU - Well first off, dont be in a rush to be the first off! I was and there is nothing to do until about 10am on a Sunday!!! I do have to mention again I was travelling alone (40 year old male 6 foot 240 pounds get the picture?), and I was a little concerned for my safety by myself. Pick and chose your taxi driver because there are plenty to chose from, and dont pay what they are asking! Learn from my mistake! I ended up in a grungy taxi and thought about jumping out half way to my destination. The driver first wanted 20 dollars from the Port to Paradise Island, and we settled on 5 bucks. The "Famous" Straw Market is nothing but a bunch of garbage souvenirs made in china and rejected by Walmart. If you are travelling with kids that makes for an inexpensive place to get some souvenirs. They are pushy so beware, and never ever pay the asking price. Rule of thumb is less than half what they are asking and close to a third. PLEASE NOTE THAT ONCE THERE WERE PEOPLE OUT AND ABOUT I FELT A WHOLE LOT SAFER. I walk Downtown Nassau away from the Straw Market for about 2 hours killing time and finally ended up eating at SENOR FROGS. The stores are only open for a small window on Sundays, so if you want to go into nicer stores do it mid day before they close.

After taking the taxi to Paradise Island I thought about walking back to avoid another taxi ride, but instead ended up taking a shuttle ride to BLUE LAGOON. Much like COCO CAY it is about a 25 minute boat ride to the LAGOON. I paid 54 dollars for this excursion which included lunch (burgers, wings, fries, drinks,) and others but I can't remember. The Island was not overly busy so the food was hot and prepared for you while you waited! DO NOT PAY to go snorkeling here...DONT DO IT! Its not expensive (under 20 bucks) but the water is crystal clear and never deeper than 3 feet and that is being generous! Kayaking, again DONT DO IT!!! You can kayak around the lagoon in ten minutes. If you want to kayak or snorkel I suggest you do those things on COCO CAY. I grabbed a floating mat and floated in the lagoon for about an hour and then lounged in a hammock the rest of my time there. I took the ten oclock boat over to the island and the one oclock back to the cruise ship, only because I wanted to see more of Nassau when it was safe to do so. I passed on the Dolphin swim and Sea Lion encounter because I did not want to spend the close to 200 dollars to partake. There is beach volleyball, water sports, lots of hammocks in and out of the sun, a bar (of course), washrooms and showers, and most importantly they have LOCKERS for your personal belongings ie cameras, wallets, id etc. 5 bucks well worth it! No lockers on COCO CAY fyi, but probably not needed as it is only your cruise ship that is there for the day. I would go back to BLUE LAGOON again and would probably give it a 7 out of 10. (without the dolphin or sea lion package)

The shows on the ship. Well they are entertaining, but if you have to have Vegas caliber shows, sorry not going to live up to your standards. Having said that, once again I did not pay to see Vegas style shows...and I got what I paid for.

Overall, I was happy with my cruise. This was a trial to see if I could be on a ship without being sick and I passed! YES you do feel the waves and YES the ship does rock back and forth (again keeping in mind this is one of the smallest cruise ships sailing today) I get sick very easily and I was perfectly fine! Would I go on a three night cruise again, absolutely if the price was right! I plan on trying a longer cruise on a much larger ship in the spring!

Sorry for the rambling but I wanted to answer some of the questions I was not able to find answers to myself while reading reviews.

I enjoyed this mini vacation and again cant say enough good things about the ships crew on the Majesty.

Please do yourself a favor, if you expecting to spend under 300 dollars for a three night cruise but expect five star everything, dont come back on here and right a poor review. Instead get off your damn wallet and spend some more money and go on a new ship...then see if you complain!

Happy Cruising! Enjoy your cruise on the Majesty of the Seas Less

Read more Majesty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Majesty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Majesty of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2

I stayed in an interior room at the rear of the ship. The last room to be specific. Other than it was a very very long walk back to my room every time I wanted to go there, it was a great quiet spot. I was on Deck FIVE so it was not far to go for the action which was good. I travelled alone and the room was more than I needed for space but it is small. Any more than 2 people and it would be crazy crowded. The bathroom is about what you would expect in a motor home for comparison sake. The room was absolutely spotless. Plenty of hangers, drawers to put clothes away and lots of room under the bed to store your luggage when not in use. There is an easy to use room safe in the closet and a flat panel 19inch tv on the wall. Not many channels to watch but you are not there to watch tv!