MSC Poesia Cruise Review by Luckyone2: Wonderful Cruise on the MSC Poesia

Member Since 2007

Compare Prices on MSC Poesia Western Caribbean Cruises

Wonderful Cruise on the MSC Poesia

Sail Date: November 2011

This was our second cruise on the MSC Poesia. I will admit that I booked this cruise because of the great pricing on a balcony cabin AND the great experience that we had on our first cruise on the Poesia. The negative reviews that I had been reading made me afraid that I would not enjoy this cruise, but that was not to be so. Embarkation was very smooth. We arrived to Port Everglades about 11:30 and within the hour, we were in our cabin. There was plenty of storage for our clothes, and there were robes in our closet. The bed was very comfortable. The televisions channels were very limited, but it is a cruise ship. When we first cruised on the Poesia, it was brand new. Well, we could not even tell that a year and a half had passed, because the ship looks as brand new as when we first cruised her. The Poesia is a beautiful ship!
I do not understand what all the complaints are about the food. I found the food to be very good, but I did eat mostly from the Italian menu. The More waiters were the biggest help when selecting my meal. The desserts that I enjoyed the most were the cheesecakes and the sorbettos. I would usually order both for dessert. Did I like every single item? No, but I don't like everything that I make either. The pizzas are outstanding and not to be missed. There was always coffee and tea available. Regular size glasses along with the smaller size were present. There is food available 24/7 so no one should ever go hungry. I highly recommend the Eggs Benedict or the omelets in the MDR for breakfast. You have to ask for tea at lunch and dinner, but it was always brought within a few minutes. When doing the buffet line, I recommend that you walk all the way in and around the buffet area so that you can see the dishes that are being offered. There is more than just the regular buffet food. The front buffet line would be crowded while the buffet line in the back would hardly be used.
My husband and I enjoy the nightly shows more than other types of ship activities like pool games, bingo, and etc. so I will only write of the nightly shows. First of all, the theater is very beautiful, and the seats are comfortable. Drinks are not sold or permitted in the theater. The shows were very good consisting of cirque du soleil type of acts, dancers, and singers. The four singers were excellent, the acrobatics were amazing, and the dancers were enjoyable. I thought that Anna and Tyler did a good job overseeing the shows. The longer the cruise went on, the more filled the theater became. It was as if people had been talking about the shows, and the rest of the people wanted to see what they had been missing. Go to the shows!
The ports that we visited were Key West, Roatan, Cozumel, and Montego Bay. I did not use any of the excursions but booked my own by reading recommendations from other Cruise Critic members. The only port that was tendered was Roatan. I recommend that if you have a tender port, that you line up early to get your tender ticket (at the internet cafe), and then know where to be when your tender number is called. Plan ahead on everything to avoid lines.
The staff of the MSC Poesia is very professional, hardworking, and courteous. Our room steward, Wayan, was simply the best! I appreciate that no one pushes any product like drinks or massages on this ship, but they are there if you want them.
Disembarkation was a breeze! We did the self-disembark which you must sign up for. We left the ship at 7:30, and we were in our car at 7:45! The green card that is given to you at the end of the cruise is not for people born in the United States. We filled it out and customs said that it was not needed.
If you want an enjoyable cruise on a beautiful ship, I highly recommend the MSC Poesia! Less

Read more MSC Poesia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Poesia Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Poesia Balcony Tasso Deck 9009

Room 9009. Aft, forward room. Two rooms back from the front of the boat. Plenty of closet space. Refrigerator. Hair Dryer. Very quiet. No overhead noise. No engine noise. Could not hear any sounds from next door cabins. Only sounds that could be heard were if you were on the balcony (of course). Great balcony: 2 chairs and a small table. The balcony furniture had just been replaced on this cruise. All furnishings look new. Mattress was extremely comfortable (which I would know about because I have a bad back). It was a walk to the elevator. This cabin was all the way on the other end from the main dining room and buffet. This cabin was directly two floors up from the theater and casinos.

(5.5)
We took a cab to Money Bar and snorkeled Dzul-Ha Reef. Buy a few drinks, and you can claim a table, chairs, or lounge for a few hours. Bathrooms are available. We brought our own snorkel gear. After snorkeling for a few hours, we took a cab and toured the east side of Cozumel. You cannot go to Cozumel and not tour the east side! It is so very beautiful! Be sure to take your camera!
Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

You do not need to book an excursion in Key West. Everywhere that you want to go is within an easy walk from the cruise ship. We walked to the Southernmost Point in the United States and took pictures. We then walked to the nearby gift shop that is located in the Southernmost Hotel and bought a few souvenirs. We then walked to the beach that is to the left of the point and got a few drinks. We walked all the way back to Mallory Square and walked along the picturesque docks. All along these streets are perfect places to take beautiful pictures. Don't miss the Banyan Trees! They are across the street from the lighthouse. We always get a t-shirt from Sloppy Joe's. I recommend looking through tripadvisor.com for recommendations for food and places. I used this site to find my new favorite place for conch fritters: The Conch Shack! There is a lot packed in this little town. You must do your research to see what appeals to you.
Read 738 Key West Reviews

We booked a snorkeling tour with Jamaica Water Sports. We snorkeled Airport Reef. Jamaica Water Sports picked us at the port directly behind our cruise ship. The people from Jamaica Water Sports did everything that they could to insure that we had a great time on our snorkeling trip. Airport Reef had plenty of beautiful fish and reefs to see. Airport Reef also has a Maho Beach type of feel because of the huge jets that are landing directly overhead you while you snorkel or sun on the catamaran. Great fun!

(5.5)
We booked an excursion through Bananarama.com for a snorkeling trip on West Bay reef. This excursion included round trip, welcome drink, and beach chair. We took our own snorkeling gear. We snorkeled on a very beautiful reef that was accessible from the shore. I highly recommend this excursion! Be sure to take bug spray. We did and had no trouble with bugs at all!
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews