Golden Princess Cruise Review by THE Lone Cruiser: November 9th through 23rd, 2011 Cruise to Hawaii

THE Lone Cruiser
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Golden Princess Hawaii Cruises

November 9th through 23rd, 2011 Cruise to Hawaii

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Hawaii
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Ok, it wasn't quite perfect. Close but no cigar. From my viewpoint, the food was great. I had one bad meal (Duck-very tough) and that was it. All the desserts were great, the meals were very good to excellent. There was usually a bit of a wait for 5:30 seating in the Non traditional dining room, but it went fast. A smile and a thank you went a long way with the Maitre D. He was a bit harassed.

The ship was great too. Lots of places to go and relax or not. That's what I love about cruising, the choices are yours to make. Not sure I got my money's worth with the soda package, but it was fine. I didn't get the coffee package because I drink one cup of coffee in the morning and I'm not a gourmet about it. I most often got coffee from room service and had it on my balcony. The bed wasn't horrible, but it wasn't great. A bit hard for me, but not that bad. The Trident Grill was nothing to write home about nor was the Pizza parlor. The ports were fine, although I have More no comparison, since this is my first trip to Hawaii. I loved the way they organized the departures for the excursions. It was really well done and absolutely no waiting on a dock to find out where you were going. You waited in the Princess Theater until your group was called, went to the disembarkation deck and got right on the bus or van. It was truly great.

They do need more seating in the Princess Theater. I only got to see one show because there was no seating. The 10:30 was too late for me because I get up at 6 am, without an alarm clock. I'm not sure what I missed, but everyone said the shows were great. My only issue was my flight home. When I left, I was flying out on US Air 6344, but when I got to the airport, they said there was no such flight. Finally, I got on a 10:10 flight that took me to Philadelphia. Not my first choice, but at that point I didn't have any choice. I'd have liked to know about the change before I left the ship. I spent money trying to check-in on line. It was frustrating. Can I blame Princess for that snafu? I don't think so, but they should have let me know about the change. US Air's people were great. They helped me all the way along. Less

Read more Golden Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Golden Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Golden Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Emerald Deck B230

Room B230 The cabin was small, but quiet. The balcony was lovely and when we were in port I could watch as we left the dock or came in to dock. I have to say that it wasn't "private" because they could see from the bridge if they looked. So nudity and sexy nightwear isn't a good idea.

I didn't get off the boat here. Port seals were cute but noisy.
Read 245 Ensenada Reviews

(4)
Saw the volcano and the garden which was nice. Thank God there were carts to bring us up to the road again. The path was so steep I could see heart attacks left and right without the carts.
Read 270 Hilo Reviews

Very interesting. I enjoyed the day there. Frankly, if I could change anything it would be to have more than one day in each port.
Read 264 Honolulu Reviews

Snorkeling was great. The people who ran the snorkeling boat were great. Even a beginner like me could try and they helped as much as they could. It was a great day on the water. We saw whales, porpoises, pretty fish and just had a nice time.
Read 237 Kauai Reviews

(5)
Took the back roads tour in Maui and it was fantastic. I felt that it was something not everyone sees. The areas we traveled were on the Grove Ranch and our guides were very knowledgeable about the island and where we were.
Read 263 Maui Reviews