Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by MichaelandNina: We were preprared for the worse but we experienced the best!

MichaelandNina
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Pearl Western Caribbean Cruises

We were preprared for the worse but we experienced the best!

Sail Date: November 2011

So,I prepared with extra antibacterial soap, Dramamine, cruise insurance, info on excursions prices, and due to a previous CC review where they claim there is smoking every where I brought a bulky air purifier. I have asthma and allergies. Im glad to say, I never once got asthma nor allergies and certainly did not need the purifier. There was NO smoke through the cabins, and I know people are allowed to smoke but they have to have a great system that sucks in the air on every room. We stayed in an instate room, I do not know about balconies, I just know they have a pull out bed and a little more specious. So, needless to say I was pleasantly surprised.
Embarkation wait time about 20 min wait,however disembarkation is a different story because customs takes their time, so careful if you have a plane to catch, u just gotta leave way early 730am.

Stirrup Cay: Not too impressed, glad I didn't spend any money there enjoyed the dance classes, we saw iguanas, it is still a good More time, if u want more quiet keep walking through the shore and you will find it. Many people walked around the island, I dont think any tours are really worth it there, but that's my perception.
First aid: I did visit first aid station at stirup cay, they were nice and free (I scratched my knees). Also visited first aid station in Dunns Falls in Jamaica, (my allergies) they gave me over the counter allergy medicine for free and no hassles (very impressed) this is unique to me so, I doubt anyone will need to do so. Practice common sense, everything is very safe but I did see a pregnant woman climbing the falls, that was scary to watch.

The ship experience is awesome, there is always something to do for everyone. I thought the "not so newly wed game", "the quest", "dancing with the pearl stars", the "juggling show" were awesome. Mystery game I didnt do, but people like it. A couple of shows are good too but Im 30 I thought if I was older I would have enjoyed more. But, for sure there is always something going on for my age group and younger, white hot party, latin party, karaoke, Caribbean parties and there are kids on most (not all) of those parties, there are no overly drunk people (drinks are expensive) there are about 2 or 3 shows that are for adult only shows.

Kids: We didn't take our kids this time, but there were 2000 kids, we were at full capacity. Kids seemed soooo happy and I thought if I would had brought my 12 yo son, I would have let him walk around with friends. After the second day you will see the kids walking around in groups once they get to know each other, very very safe and entertaining. I did not hear any complaints about kids club for smaller kids either.

FOOD: The food wasnt that great, but there is something that you will like and you will probably over eat so be prepared for that. Scrambled eggs were very runny, but there are omelet stations, usually about 2 or 3 people wait time. They have 3 or 4 main dining rooms and restaurants for free. If you do not eat at any paid restaurant, you will still be satisfied. Mambos wasnt that great, Cagneys is a steakhouse, and TOTALLY worth the money. Truffle oil french fries were awesome, Crab cakes OMG!!!, Fillet Mignon you do not need a knife, different cuts were awesome too, yes we went twice lol. The cover price is $25 and Cagneys is the most expensive one.
Casino: We won a few hundred dollars on blackjack. We entered the blackjack tournaments only $15. They had a $500 price (I didnt win,I was 3rd place). We also bought bingo etc, the pull tabs are just a way to get you to the casino once you cash them in.
Dress code wasn't strictly enforced, I liked that...lol I liked that we didn't have schedules to be dressed a certain way etc. However, many people along with the kids choose to dress up which is nice.
Service was excellent, clean rooms, friendly staff. Over all I'm very satisfied. I'm doing a research paper on carnival and royal Caribbean's finances so, I know how tight for cash they are so, NCL probably is too however, I didn't feel that they were trying to get my money all the time. The service was excellent,and I will totally recommend to anyone. Cant wait to get back. Less

Read more Norwegian Pearl cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Pearl Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Pearl 10077

Nice bathrooms, not for more than two adults maybe children yes, VERY clean.

(5)
Jamaica: My favorite port but thats because we got a taxi to drive us around. We went to the falls didnt climb all the way lol, but it was an awesome experience. We felt we didnt want to spend the whole day there. But, it was beautiful, our friends tried the zip line and horses on the beach and they were very happy. We were more interested in mingling with the local culture, and thats exactly what we did. Our taxi driver took us around the island, and let me use his cell phone to call my mother :) that was awesome. FYI the taxis that are available when you embark are special taxis who have special insurances and training, our taxi was an old school 85 black cadillac that everyone loved around town, it is the only one in the island. We went shopping at the mall across the st from it, there is a flea market, we were a little turned off by the pushiness of the merchants by he took us to his friends store to get me some shorts. So, next time, unless I need something, shopping wont be on my list.

(5)
Gran Cayman: Very impressed, very USA like. We went snorkeling, by far the best snorkeling Ive ever done, and we go snorkeling all the time in the FL Keys. They have a barrier reef, which is great for snorkeling and scuba diving. It was hard to find a bathroom, but we found one and we went to the post office to mail postcards, very close and inexpensive treat for friends.

(5)
Cozumel: WOW what an experience!! we wanted to do the ruins I really was looking forward to see them but I am glad we chose not to go because our friends did and were highly disappointed because it took the whole day and the ruins were fenced off. So, we were gutsy and rented scooters and off we went. The best decision we could have made, $35 per person, cheap gas and VERY safe.It was my first time riding scooters. Cars will not pass you or make you nervous they stay away and give you the right of way. Very easy, actually easier than I thought, Id be more worrIied in Miami riding a scooter. We ended up going to a few places around the main road (once u leave the main drag, they have a separate road for scooters you may use, some times we did, some times we didnt). We got a body massage at one of the resorts, snorkel at another one and ate enough for a few days. Some of these resorts are all inclusive(food n drinks $50) you can also pay extra for horse excursions on the beach and jungle, massage, snorkeling etc. We ended up at The money bar where we paid $6 for snorkeling gear and snorkeled right by the shore. Unlike Grand Cayman the snorkeling in Cozumel is right there on shore and it is awesome!!! You can also do beginners scuba dive for $75. I would exchange US for pesos right before going anywhere next time. I think pesos were 13 but every you go they accept your dollars but at $10.