Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Gonzo8359

Cruise Date: November 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: ID
See More About: Norwegian Jade Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Spa & Fitness 5+

Freestyle = no style. Horrible
After reading so many good reviews about the Jade and NCL, I thought I was onto a winner. Good customer service from NCL booking reps is non existent. They are cheeky, rude, and do not try to help at all once the money is paid. I kept trying to ask for an upgrade, and when they finally replied ( I had booked a year in advance) I was told that all the balcony rooms were full and they would not be able to accommodate me. They did not answer basic questions, for example, what currency do they use on the ship, can a debit card be used etc.. etc..

Once on the ship itself, I found it rather tacky. Pictures of Hawaii are painted everywhere. I know this ship used to sail around Hawaii, but those days are long gone now.

The food was appalling. Keep away from the buffet restaurant. The food was usually cold, burgers were half raw, the chicken was always dry, when I asked one of the chefs for a freshly cooked piece of chicken, he just pointed at the dry bunch and said "get it from there." I had to demand that I wanted the piece of chicken right off the grill. Burger bread was always stale, whenever they didn't have any burgers and you asked for one, the chefs would take them out of a warm draw, and would nonchalantly throw them onto the plate, as if they were feeding dogs and not people.

After a few days of hoping for change, I had to make a complaint about the food. The head chef spoke to me, I told him what kind of treatment and level of service I had been given, and he obviously apologised and gave me his card. He told me to ring him whenever I was going to eat again, and he would make sure that I would receive first class service. I told him that I expected such a service at all times, not just when I called him.

Booked a tour of Athens through NCL. Very expensive tour, the tour guide was an imbecile. He literally did not know his left from his right. If you are going to book a tour, do it privately, trip advisor etc... don't go through the ship as you will be left wanting much more!!!!

Food in the dining halls, were a bit better, but nothing to rave about. We even paid to eat in the Spanish/mexican restaurant on board on the last night, and that was another let down.

NCL get it right! People want hot food, good service, and a smile. I know the workers have 9 month long contracts etc... but it is their choice to be there. Most of the staff were grumpy, although they did help, they did it in a begrudging manner.

The onboard excursion desk was also useless. When I asked what would be the best tour in athens, I was told to go to my cabin, watch the TV programme, and then come back!! WTF???

I wouldn't cruise NCL again, not even if they offered a free cruise. Keep away from NCL!!!!!

Publication Date: 11/29/11