Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by The5Cs: A qualified thumbs-up

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

A qualified thumbs-up

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

We just returned from a five-night cruise to Progreso and Cozumel on the Triumph. I am an avid review-reader so I can say it met my expectations - which were not that high! Carnival does a good job of creating a fun atmosphere, but I feel that customer service on the individual level is missing.

The good:
I was with a group of 13. We sat together at dinner, had plenty of places to hang out, and enough to keep us busy. There was truly something for everyone. The food was decent to good. The crowds were not terribly overwhelming.

The bad:
The ship was gorgeous, but dated. It was not as clean as it could be, and room service leftovers were left way too long in the hallways. Not one person exceeded our expectations customer-service wise. We went on a Disney cruise over the summer and I have MANY stories of people who really went out of the way for us in big and small ways. Not so here. Example: my six-year old and I waited in line for 20 minutes for pizza, and on More the way back to the table she dropped her food. Several crew members witnessed this but did nothing as she got upset. I guarantee on the Disney ship that someone would have been right to our table with fresh pizza.
The pools were just icky. Way too many people in them. The kids' area was very blah - granted, we had the 'disadvantage' of having the Disney Dream as a source of comparison, and this just didn't come close and my kids weren't particularly interested. And the workers there were not friendly to us.

The ports were fine, especially Cozumel. We were well taken care of on our excursion at Progreso, but the port itself seemed like an afterthought.A word to families: the comedians gave "family-friendly" shows and they were bombs. Perhaps these guys are great in their element, but it was very clear they didn't know how to temper their act for the under-18 set.

Despite the flaws, we did get what we paid for, and we had a fun time. Beats working! I would recommend it given realistic expectations. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>