Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Katie Young

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Review by Katie Young
Celebrity Silhouette
Celebrity Silhouette
Member Name: Katie Young
Cruise Date: November 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Cabin Category: A1
See More About: Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Honeymoon on the Silhouette
This was our second Celebrity cruise after travelling on the Eclipse last year. We were celebrating our honeymoon, so much younger than the average age of the guests on board but it did not concern us. We found plenty to do and the holiday left us feeling totally relaxed which was our aim.

The Silhouette is basically just like the Eclipse but with improvements. The top deck which houses glass blowing on the Eclipse has been transformed into an eating/drinking/relaxing area with the lawn club grill, hammocks, an art studio and grass lawn where on some nights you can relax listening to live music with wine/cheese and a blanket. Very nice indeed.

Aquaclass

We chose to book Aquaclass. You are paying more for use of the Persian Garden and steam room. You also get your own restaurant Blu which serves healthier meals compared to the main dining room. You also get canapés and iced tea in your room each day.

Is it worth it? For us yes as we loved being able to use our own restaurant and eat when we wanted. We didn't use the Persian garden a great deal but it was a nice option. The rooms are the same as stateroom verandas, so you get no extra space. We were located on floor 11, so close to the Aquaspa on 12 and the pool on 14. You also get a great shower in the room with jets.

Good points: staff are so friendly, always making a point to say hello, ask you how your day was etc.

Rooms are comfortable with nice bedding, towels. Great tv system with free films. We made use of this on any wet/windy days.

Food Is superb. We also tried Quisine- a great experience everyone should try. The lawn club grill was also excellent. You can help make the food but rather than paying to cook your own dinner, it is more like a cooking class. My husband cooked his filet mignon and picked up all sorts of BBQ tips. You are under no obligation to participate. It is great food whatever!

Other food highlights throughout our 12 nights: Tortilla soup, warm coconut bread, great cookies, Filet mignon and peanut butter ice cream. The Rutherford Ranch red wine is superb.

Low points

I must highlight the dreadful hotel where Celebrity put us up before the cruise began. It was the Sheraton Newark and the service was so bad and it was a very disappointing start to our honeymoon. After a long flight from London we decided to get breakfast in bed as a treat. Despite what turned out to be 7 phonecalls over the space of 2 hours and repeated assurances it was on its way, we never did get our breakfast. The response on the reception desk was simply the worst, 'that's not my department I am afraid' said the receptionist. The staff could not give a damn at this sloppy Sheraton hotel and Celebrity should seriously re-think it's choice of hotel at Newark.

When we took a cruise from Miami last year with Celebrity we were met at the airport but this did not happen in Newark so that was a shame. We also mentioned when booking that it was our honeymoon but there was no mention of this when we arrived at our stateroom or at anytime during the trip. It's not a big thing but it would have made our trip feel more special.

The Aquaspa is expensive. I had a call in my stateroom one day telling me I had won 50 dollars off a treatment in a silent raffle. The treatment however was 149 dollars for a massage and that was with the discount. I told the girl it was expensive but she was still being quite pushy. I think the spa should re-think it's price structure.

Ports

We stopped off at Antigua, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Thomas and St Martin. My best advice would be to do a bit of research and head to the best beach for the day. This is what we did in Antigua (we went to Jolly Beach) and had a great day on a beautiful beach. At all these places you are hounded by taxi people when you get off the ship. Negotiate a good deal and head off to your beach of choice. Whilst the taxi drivers can be pushy, once you are on your way the drivers are usually very chatty and friendly.

Overall, we love Celebrity Silhouette and had a lovely time. There are just a few comments I have made, that I hope the company take on board. As I highlighted, the experience we got on the ship was dreadful. We were so relieved to board the ship and get that first glass of bubbly!!

Publication Date: 11/27/11