Carnival Magic Cruise Review by craneman61

Member Name: craneman61
Cruise Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

Not what I expected
I started reading reviews about the Magic Inaugural cruise out of Galveston. Glad to see we are not the only ones who were dissatisfied. This just happened to be our first and probably our last. Carnival has ruined the experience for us.

The ship seems to be nice enough although it's too large for my taste. Food was good in the dining room and fair on the Lido deck but with that many people the lines were long most of the time. Southern Lights serve a well arranged meal with diverse taste that complemented each other. The entertainment was good but again way too crowded. Carnival defiantly wanted to pack the people in to make a profit.

The port stop in Progresso was the first big mistake that lead to many more. Progresso was worse than any border town I have ever been to. Pretty unnerving to see so many Police and Military with assault rifles all over town. Some will say I should feel safe with all that protection, but the opposite is true. Then the story about it being an unplanned stop another mistake, don't lie to your customers. The $25 credit was a slap in the face.

We cruised to the Caribbean for blue water diving, because of Carnival we spent about 25 min. in the water. The excursion we signed up for thru Carnival was a joke. With so many people around we were treated like cattle. Get your gear on, get in the water, and get out. When we complained at the excursion desk, guess what we got, another $20 credit, or should I say another slap in the face. Yes the Magic does have problems.

Carnival's downfall I will say is customer service. I work with the public every day and can tell the leadership at Carnival you will lose on this cruise. Lots of folks I talked with will not be back. We called Carnival after docking and they sounded as if they could care less. They wanted to offer us more credit on future cruises. We could have taken a cruise to Progresso and Cozumel on Carnival for a thousand dollars less. Customers should get what they pay for and pay for what they get.

Sorry Carnival I really wanted to be upbeat in my opinion of the cruise but can't say I had a great time. When our next vacation comes around I don't think it will be on Carnival.

Publication Date: 11/26/11