Carnival Glory Cruise Review by KARENMAZ

Carnival Glory
Carnival Glory
Member Name: KARENMAZ
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8C

Glory the Good and the Bad
Before embarking, my husband and I, both in our early 60's, enjoyed our first trip together to NYC. Traffic from the Hilton was heavy, and it took our taxi over a half hour to reach the pier, so allow for that. Embarkation was crowded, organized ok, but took about an hour. We went straight to our cabin which was spacious enough, but rather gaudy. Since I have arthritic hips, we needed a foam pad (requested prior to cruise but not provided) for the bed. The steward was able to find one which we doubled up allowing me to sleep. The mattresses are too firm and the space between beds is obvious. My husband warned me not to look at the pad provided, so I assume it wasn't really clean. The room was spacious and we liked the aft location. We could walk easily up or down for activities, but did have to walk to the front of the ship most of the time, but that, I believe eliminated my usual weight gain.

Ship- one would think a ship named Glory would be decorated in red, white, and blue. The decor was garish, many Asian themes, and coral seemed to predominate. There were enough deck chairs for our two sunny days, drinks weren't pushed, but we couldn't find good quiet spots to read on days that were too cool to be outside.

Food- our meals in the main dining room (own time dining) were good, not great. Some of the choices were rather strange. Our service was excellent. We chose to eat in the same area most of the time, sitting at a table for two, and got to know some of the other people who also sat near. The first night, we arrived late due to a late lunch, and learned that eating early was smarter, so we wouldn't have to wait in line. The molten chocolate cake was delicious and the highlight of our trip!

The buffet, however, was terrible. Every time we ate there, our food was cold. We did complain to guest services. I had a queasy stomach after our first buffet upon arrival which lingered the entire cruise. We ate their several other times for lunch or breakfast (cold oatmeal) and were never pleased. The stir-fry food looked good, but we didn't get a chance to try that.

Entertainment- for being named a "fun ship" I didn't think there was a great variety in the entertainment, and like the food it was OK.

Ports- First, we didn't factor that the ports were near the ocean, and that the towns didn't have many trees, so we didn't get to see many fall leaves.

Our timing in Boston was strange. Since we had been there before, we didn't sign up for a tour and found there was little to do as city tours all had embarked before we got to town. Also, Boston was the only port where you had to have a "ticket" to leave ship at a designated time if you weren't taking a tour. The walk from the pier to downtown was longer than I expected; after eating dinner, we took a cab back to the ship as some of the places we had traveled were rather desolate.

Portland- we had been to the lighthouse and Kennebunkport before,so we didn't take an excursion. There really wasn't much to do, but we had great lobster rolls at an outdoor place on the pier adjacent.

St. John- tides weren't cooperating, so we didn't see the famous high tide. We took the ship's photography tour which was great, even extending the tour time since no one had conflicts!

Halifax- booked a private tour to Peggy's Cove (Great Earth Expeditions with Ryan) which was excellent, except that I fell on the slippery granite on our hike of the barrens by Peggy's Cove. Although I my Merrill's, I should have packed my hiking boots. The granite has left permanent little indentation marks in my knee! Ryan served a delicious lunch at Peggy's Cove & it was nice to see the adjacent area, not just stop for a few minutes at the lighthouse. We also went through the Public Gardens, around the fort, to the cemetery, and got dropped off, by choice, at the museum.

All in all, it was a nice trip, not one of my tops, and one that I wouldn't repeat or recommend to anyone who has been to any of the ports, wants to see the famous tides, or thinks you'll enjoy fall color.

Our debarkation was smooth- except for the wild taxi ride back to LaGuardia.

Publication Date: 11/25/11