Carnival Magic Cruise Review by jaxonbox: Inaurgural Magic Cruise November 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Western Caribbean Cruises

Inaurgural Magic Cruise November 2011

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

I have to start off by saying Bassic said it best in their review of this ship. It wasn't terrible . . . . it just wasn't what I was hoping for and I believe my expectations were pretty low considering I had chosen Carnival for my cruise.

The ship is really a beautiful vessel. It's really got fun, personality and beauty all wrapped up into one. When we pulled into a port we were definitely the big fish in town. That was pretty impressive. I totally agree that the layout takes some getting used to. I think it took most of the trip before we actually got the exact layout down. It's very big and the elevators and stairs do not always get you where you want to go. The rooms were bigger than I had anticipated which was nice. My room had two twins, sofa, long vanity and TWO BATHROOMS !!!!! I loved having TWO!!!

The staff on the ship was VERY hot and cold as far as attitudes. My room guys were above and beyond EXCELLENT. I could not of asked for a better group More of people taking care of my room. The manager in the casino was SUPER EXCELLENT !! I know he's in the business to bring more money to the casino but he was sensational. He always addressed the guests by name, was quick to ask if he could bring you anything or do anything for you, he took the time to just visit with the guests . . . . very professional and all around great guy. I did speak with Guest Services on a couple of occasions and they were hot and cold. I agree that the complaints were probably overflowing but some of the staff was very helpful but others would respond with a very snippy response. This is something I didn't appreciate because I was merely asking questions and not complaining. 80/ The girls at the desk in the spa were not not my fave. Again, very short and snippy. But my massage lady for me and my daughter were very very nice. I do not feel I got my moneys worth though. I paid $170 for a 50 min stone massage and the poor girl kept dropping the rocks and eventually dropped the lid to the heater that they're kept warm in. I bet she spent atleast 30 - 40% of her time arranging things and picking stuff up that she had dropped. But she was nice. 80)

As far as meals, the sit down meals were pretty good. The main dish was usually very good but I didn't have very good luck with the sides that would come with it. The appetizers and desserts were usually very good as well. As far as everything else, it was very average as I would think would be expected. The service in the dining rooms was very slow for us and we were in early seating. There was a couple of nights that it took over an hour to get our meals. The staff was cordial but not happy to be there . . . . we felt like they were strictly there to do their job and go home. We were there the night of the fight. Very entertaining but a little taken aback by it all.

We had signed up for an excursion in Cozumel which had a time change on it. The cruise said they gave us a notice of it but we didn't get it. Therefore we were left behind and weren't able to go. Unfortunately they said they left the notice on our door but we also had kids on our floor that were stealing the mail. 80( The money was refunded but it took ALOT of talking to get that done.

The change in port was upsetting only because they knew the problem existed with the ship WAY before they picked us up and they could have offered other solutions which they didn't. Progreso was a TERRIBLE port . . . to the point some of the guests were slipped drugs in their drinks and they had to be carried back to the ship and then wheeled back to their rooms in wheelchairs. That's not the fault of Carnival but Carnival could have picked a better place to dock especially since they knew from the Transatlantic sailing that there were problems. They had plenty of time to work out a better location. Carnival led the guests to believe that the issue happened just as they were pulling into Galveston and they had to make other arrangements with little time. Very untrue and disappointing.

Many of the guests were unhappy. I was disappointed. With some tweeks this will be a very very good cruise. It does have alot of potential. Its unfortunate the ship had problems because it changed the attitude and schedule of alot of things. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Oceanview Riviera 1329

It's a party town in Mexico. I think that speaks for itself. 80)
Read 3137 Cozumel Reviews