Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by toujoursmax: Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruise Nov 12

toujoursmax
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruise Nov 12

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

My family of 5 (all adults) just returned from the Nov 12 7-day cruise to Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Maarten and St Thomas. This is a wonderful itinerary if you want to sample several islands in one trip.

First, let me say that we loved the crew. Our waiter Serkan, sommelier Eren (sp?), assistant Tri (sp?), cocktail server Sharika (from Jamaica!) and maitre'd Sasha were all wonderful. They provided great input on the sights at the various islands, since many of them take advantage of their time off by going to all the best beaches and sights! They were truly invested in seeing that we enjoyed our trip.

Logistics getting on and off the ship were smooth. Doing all of your check-in online prior to the cruise is a must.

I had read that the age demographic on Celebrity was in the 45-65 age range. I would say that the range was predominantly over 55, so if you are looking for a younger crowd this is not the cruise line for you.

As one other More poster noted, the ship is showing its age. It was clean, well maintained, but the decor needs an update for sure. This was a small issue in my opinion.

We had only a few issues. First, the food. The buffet restaurant was very good for breakfast. We only lunched on the ship twice and that was good also. However, during breakfast every day it was almost IMPOSSIBLE to find coffee, cream, or milk. They just couldn't keep up. I often found myself going to 5 coffee stations before I could get a cup and that was annoying. Also, some ice machines kept breaking down on the pool level making it harder to get a glass of water during the day.

In the main dining room, the food was OK, just OK. For us, quality is so much more important than quantity. My husband and future son-in-law tried a beef entree 3 times during the week (prime rib, sirloin, filet) and each time they were terrible; hard to chew, gristly, and not very flavorful. One of my fish entrees was so overcooked that it was basically inedible. Having traveled with Royal Caribbean twice, I was expecting the food on Celebrity to be just as perfect and it was far from that. I guess this is one area where they are trying to cut costs? You can dine at La Normandie for an extra charge ($35/person?) but considering we spent thousands of dollars on this vacation that should not have been necessary to get a fine dining food experience.

The other issue I had was from an excursion we booked in St. Maarten, the America's Cup Sailing. The excursion was fantastic and I would highly recommend it, but it was supposed to start at 11:30 and it was 1:00-1:30 before we finally started. It wasn't clear why - one of the crew said another cruise ship was late docking and the first trip of the day was delayed because of that, throwing off every trip after that (we were the third). My complaint is that we were kept waiting on the dock for over half an hour with no information or explanation. Then we were moved to the shopping area and told it would be another half hour. Then we moved to the taxi dock for another 20 minutes before the tender finally arrived. As expected we were hot, frustrated and angry by the time we finally got on the ship. If they had told us that the trip would be delayed we could have gone off and done something else instead of just SITTING and WAITING. Someone on Celebrity should have informed us of these delays, offering us the choice of a cancellation. I complained to Guest Relations and received no satisfaction, except that they would speak to the vendor. A partial refund would have been appropriate. I will be writing to their corporate office regarding this issue. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Oceanview Stateroom Continental Deck (2)

We had a balcony stateroom 7118. It was very quiet - there was no noise from the public areas on deck 10, the hallways were quiet. I think we were at a point where there wasn't a lot of foot traffic past the room. It was small, which is to be expected. I brought about 15 of my own hangers since they have the hangers that attach to a permanent ring on the closet rod. A pain to remove and replace. We were on the right (starboard) side. Sometimes we had a view of port, other times of another cruise ship at dock (which was pretty when leaving port). Our kids had inside staterooms 7054 & 7058 (adjoining) which were basically the same as ours without the balcony.

We went to Dickinson Bay to a beach area next to the Sandals resort. Nice beach, lots of vendors though, selling jewelry, jet skiing, baskets, etc. Beach was very nice - there is a mexican restaurant that was good for lunch down past Sandals at Antigua Village (you can't use Sandals restaurants). I don't like the Antigua shopping area. Lots of vendors selling lots of junk made in China. Picturesque but not my cup of tea.
Read 802 Antigua Reviews

We did not do much in port besides take a taxi to Boatyard Beach, which was close by and recommended by the crew. they had chairs and umbrellas for rent, a bar/grill, a pier with a diving platform and rope swing, and a water trampoline. The beach was clean, water was fairly calm and many of our crew were on the beach with us. We had planned to stay at the beach for 2-3 hours but ended up staying most of the day. Highly recommended.
Read 703 Barbados Reviews

I highly recommend the zipline trip at Morne Coubaril on St. Lucia. It includes a boat trip to Soufriere with views of the Pitons, followed by a really great zipline trip. The first line starts off a 60 foot platform and there were 8-10 ziplines from platform to platform. Our guides took safety very seriously; we were always hooked up with a safety line and had a thorough safety briefing beforehand. We've been told that roads are slow and narrow, which made taking a powerboat to Soufriere a much more enjoyable trip. Our sources in the crew said that going into town was not worth the trip so we did some shopping at the dock.

We booked the America's Cup Sailing excursion through Celebrity. The excursion was fantastic and I would highly recommend it (I would rate the actual trip a 5+), but it was supposed to start at 11:30 and it was 1:00-1:30 before we finally started. It wasn't clear why - one of the crew said another cruise ship was late docking and the first trip of the day was delayed because of that, throwing off our trip. My complaint is that we were kept waiting on the dock for over half an hour with no information or explanation. Then we were moved to the shopping area and told it would be another half hour. Then we moved to the taxi dock for another 20 minutes before the tender finally arrived. We all loaded into the tender then spent another 30 minutes as we went to the 3 sailboats, and swapped places with the earlier excursion. As expected we were hot, frustrated and angry by the time we finally got on the ship. If they had told us that the trip would be delayed we could have gone off and done something else instead of just SITTING and WAITING. Someone on Celebrity should have informed us of these delays, offering us the choice of a cancellation, and America's Cup Racing should have kept them informed. I complained to Guest Relations on Celebrity and received no satisfaction, except that they would speak to the vendor. A partial refund would have been appropriate.

We took an open air cab to Sapphire Beach, clearly the most beautiful beach on our 7 day cruise! It's at the other end of the island and the taxi cost $10/person each way, but it was still cheaper than the cruise line's excursion price. You can also rent a car for about $65/day (we found out later), but they do drive on the left. There are chairs to rent, snorkeling gear, floats, and a small grill for lunch. Sapphire Beach resort looked to be in very bad shape and one of the buildings was under renovation but the beach was still gorgeous, with views of St. John, lots of trees for shade, and piles of coral swept up by the tide. Snorkeling is right off the beach ($5/hour). There is a turtle grass area to the left where we saw sea turtles and rays. On the right is a reef with many types of colorful fish but sadly the reef itself looked very very stressed. I only saw 2-3 fan corals, some brain coral and some staghorn (?) coral. Things have changed so much over the last 15 years. Magens Bay is also a beautiful beach but there is no real snorkeling there.
Read 2323 St. Thomas Reviews