Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Nursekimmypie: 1st time on Royal Caribbean-- going back to Princess

Nursekimmypie
Member Since 2009
1 Post

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

1st time on Royal Caribbean-- going back to Princess

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Galveston

I've been on QE2 to Europe- 3X on Carnival and 2X on Princess. All 7 days or longer. This was my first time on RCL.

What I liked/loved:
1. The promenade deck is gorgeous- just like a real mall
2. Tons of bars and great music
3. The ice show was fantastic- very talented skaters
4. The Casino had a lot of games and live poker because the poker pro was broken
5. The Solarium (although alot of it is in shade) It is free.
6. Showers- they are circular with doors that actually close so water doesn't get everywhere.
7. Fitness Center- free classes if you could get up by 7:00 am
8. 2 large hot tubs in the Solarium. No kids. Another in the fitness center.

What I didn't like/hated:
1. No irons or washing machines- you have to pay $25 for a bag of Laundry
2. No food or drinks out close to the pools- you have to walk a long way to get water, lemonade or a snack.
3. My husband and I are dancers and our normal cruise schedule is hang More out at the pool all day, eat early, dance from 7-9, go to the casino. They had almost NO dancing before 10 PM. This is an older crowd and they should have dancing in one or two venues from 7-9. Princess does it the best.
4. The Desserts-- HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE! HORRIBLE-- I am now an official member or the one bite club-- couldn't eat more. Even the sweet breakfast pastries had no sweetness. I find it impossible for 90% of the desserts to be this bad.
5. Staff is less than friendly. Only those working in the dining room and our stateroom attendant were pleasant.
6. They don't provide samples for lotion, conditioner, toothpaste. NOTHING!
7. Room was very tiny-- we always stay interior cabin and this was the smallest.
8. Their policy is you can't bring your own sodas and energy drinks. we did anyway, but if they aren't going to enforce it, then why make it a policy?
9. Food overall was just OK. Lot's went uneaten (wasted) due to it didn't taste anything like what it was supposed to be. The salad bar is good. Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 6

6643- Great location. Close to Promenade, all dining rooms, and Casino. Not too close or too far from the elevator. It was very small compared to other cruise lines. The showers are great, as the doors actually close and water doesn't leak out. The closet space was just so/so, but we made it work.

Took an excursion with Island Marketing, LTd. Went to Goff's Caye. It was a 35 minute boat ride. Quite fun out to this tiny island in the middle of nowhere. Went snorkeling. Some guys come out and BBQ chicken, hot dogs and Lobster. for $7 the chicken was a lot and really good. The Lobster was $8 but tasted like bbq chicken. :0) Went snorkeling, but it was too rough, so I climbed back on the boat after 30 minutes. Hung out on the island. It is beautiful. Went back to the pier and bought meds at the pharmacy.

Very disappointed in the beach this time. Been here twice before, but the hurricane at the end of OCt brought a lot of debris up onto the beach and also the water is now green in most places instead of the gorgeous blues that it used to be. Hopefully they will clean it up soon. I went parasailing for $70. The guys were super nice and fun and took lots of pictures. That was my first time to Parasail. You could also go for banana boat rides and jet ski rides. There were FIVE ships in that day, so it was super crowded. But the other lines left early and by 2, there was hardly anyone on the beach. Next time, we will get off at the first taxi stop and then walk 1/4 mile to the beach access at the luxury hotels. That beach looked nicer. You can flag down a local bus. We stopped at Foster's grocery on the way back and stocked up on energy drinks and cokes. Caught the local bus back to the pier for $2.50 pp. Half the price of the regulated taxis.

Whoever said West End Beach was just as good as West Bay-- LOL. I wouldn't even call it a beach. Also, the walk to the local bus route is well over a mile and close to 2. We started out walking and told the cabbie we were too cheap to pay for him. He took us to West End for $5pp. Then we took the water taxi to West Bay Beach for $3pp. Now THIS beach is worth going to. Massages for 45 minutes for $20 or $25. Lots of people selling their stuff but not too aggressive. If you don't want a chair, walk to the far end and the beach is vacant and beautiful. Spent the whole day here and got a taxi ride back to the pier for $15 for both of us.
Read 1660 Roatan Reviews