Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Cruise Traveler Susan

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Liberty Cruise Review by Cruise Traveler Susan
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Liberty
Member Name: Cruise Traveler Susan
Cruise Date: November 2011
Cabin Category: 6C

Carnival Liberty Eastern Carribean
Went on a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Carnival Liberty embarking on Saturday November 12. I am just going to point out some things that others may find of interest - I am not doing a day by day account of everything that transpired. I'd be happy to answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Ports of call: Half Moon Cay (beautiful and relaxing); St. Thomas; San Juan PR & Grand Turk. Enjoyed each port - San Juan was nice. Took a tour on a bus right off the dock for $10 per person - 1 1/2 hour tour of Old San Juan and new San Juan with stoppings for picture taking. Very good tour and very knowledgable. They are right there waiting for you when you get off the ship so they are easy to find. Half Moon Cay - beach day - awesome sand and water. Grand Turk beach day as well - lounged under a coconut tree all day long and swam. St. Thomas - Paradise Point (expensive $21 per person) - not worth it in my opinion. Views a good but kind of pricey for what you get.

Food: Guy's Burger place - I don't eat ground beef but my husband loved it. I ate at the Blue Iguana cantina for breakfast each morning - mexican breakfast wraps and other items. Loved my mexican breakfast each day. Fish & chips place was very good. Mongolian Wok was great - had it twice....long lines each day though but it is worth the wait. Dining room - food not as good as I have had in the past from Carnival but it was OK. Portions are smaller than I remember - the "didja ever try" stuff was nothing I'd ever get again but I tried each one each day just to say I tried them. The sushi was good - enjoyed that. The bacon mac & cheese is awesome - ordered a bowl of that along with our main entrees and we ate every bite of everything. Wait staff were super. First night bad - over 2 hours for dinner. I switched my table to a table for two in a different section and it was much smoother after that switch. If you are not happy the Matre'D will be glad to assist you.

Drinks - overpriced but good. My husband drinks beer and I got the tip from someone else on these boards to go with the "Fosters" beer - same price as the others and you get much more as the can is a large one. I did buy a bottle of vodka from Bon Voyage for $40 and that was good - my husband had two cans of beer in his carry on bag when we entered Miami security screening - they took him off to the side and treated him as if he were smuggling drugs :) needless to say they took his two beers. We each brought a bottle of wine aboard and water and diet coke. No problem with any of that at all.

Entertainment - on outside deck by big screen is mostly a DJ playing songs - no live entertainment there. The shows we saw (I think there are only 3 or 4 now they used to have them each night)were good - my favorite being the tribute show to Frank Sinatra & Sammy Davis, Jr. The dancers were good - female singer good - male singer just OK in my opinion.

Past guest party was great except for some guests who literally stood and screamed for another drink every 5 minutes or so.....come on now. I had 4 drinks in 45 minutes.....lots had at least 10. Don't know how they made it to dinner.

Elegant nights - anything went as far a clothing. I saw jeans, nice pants & shirts, suits, tuxedos, evening gowns, cocktail dresses, nice slacks and tops. I didn't see anyone getting turned away by the staff. I did see one young man leave on his own accord when he showed up with shorts and a t shirt - he probably felt out of place.

All in all we had a great time and are looking forward to going again.

Publication Date: 11/24/11