Eurodam Cruise Review by cpayne: Eurodam - November 11

1,174 Posts

Compare Prices on Eurodam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Eurodam - November 11

Sail Date: November 2011

I would like to share our recent experience on the Eurodam with others. My husband and I are 40 and 51. We are "active" travelers and like to get out and participate - both day and night. We are not the type to just lounge by the pool or beach all day. This was our 17th cruise and we have cruised a variety of other lines. Therefore, I feel we can make fair comparisons. I will try my best to keep this simple and easy to read:

Fort Lauderdale: We flew in the day before and stayed at the Hyatt Airport North. Booked via Priceline for $55+tax. They provide a shuttle for $6/person, but we took a cab. Easily fit 4 people and w/ tip was $20 total. Would have been much less, but there was an extremely long line of taxis upon entering the cruise terminal and the meter racked up!

Embarkation: Very smooth. From the time we exited the taxi until we were in our room it was approx 40 min. The line kept moving at all times. We were in our room by 12:15. Grade: More A

Food: We felt food was fair. Not bad, but not great. However, we are not "foodies". Our friends sailing with us are and they felt some meals were outstanding and others were just ok. Grade: B

Onboard Activities: This is the one area where we were not happy. We felt both day and night activities were lacking. There was little variety in evening mainstage entertainment. Mostly the singer/dancers and one magic show. Prefer other ships that offer more variety including a comedian. Also felt the venues for dancing were lacking. 2 nts in the disco the DJ did not show up until 45 min after the stated time. First time it happened I asked if he would take requests. He said no b/c he was busy setting up for the next event. Next night I asked if he would take requests. He said only "club" music. I asked for a few songs, but he did not have them. I then asked for some "modern" country songs and he would not play them. There was NO one in the disco so felt there should be no reason he couldn't accomodate at least a few songs of our request. Had there been other people present I could have understood. There was only 1 venue for ballroom dancing. The other dancing venue was HalCats in the Queens Lounge and they did not even perform the last night. Overall, for onboard entertainment I would grade this cruise a C-.

Ports of Call: We chose this cruise based on the itinerary and were not disappointed. We had previously visited SJ and St Thomas and were anxious to explore GT.

Overall Grade: A

Turks and Caicos: Beautiful island, but we were disappointed. 3 of the 4 in our party are experienced scuba divers. GT is known for being one of the better dive locations in the world, but all in our party agreed they have been to better dive locations. Not a bad dive location by any mean. Just after all the "hype" it was not as we had hoped for. Beyond snorkeling, diving and beach days there are limited activities on this island. A day cruise stop for this island is perfect. I would not be interested in an extended stay vacation at this location.

San Juan: We rented a car from Charlie's Car Rental and drove to El Yunque Rain Forest. We were rained on and unfortunately could not do any hiking. However, we still enjoyed the drive to the top and back and found a few dry moments for pictures. Renting a car and doing an independent tour was more affordable and allowed us to be on our schedule. We were thankful for this since the rain changed our plans. On the return drive home we took the "road less traveled" and followed the road along the northern coastline. By then the rain had stopped and this was a great experience. An amazing beach area that literally runs for miles. Was almost empty. It is located east of the airport and before the Rio Grande area. If you are interested in a beach day I would HIGHLY recommend this area! Rent a car and get away from the crowds of OSJ.

St Thomas: We chartered The Winifred, a 47 ft sailboat and sailed to St John. We have enjoyed this experience before and was well worth repeating. The day includes a nice lunch and an open bar. I believe it is rated on trip advisor as the #1 excursion to do on St Thomas. They only take 6 people max so is a very private tour and again gets you away from the crowds. A bit more expensive, but for all you get I feel it was priced well. For 2 people w/ tips and taxi it was $350.

Half Moon Cay: This is the nicest of the cruise ship private islands we have ever visited. A beautiful island and well maintained. Very impressed. Our only complaint was the food that day was terrible!

Disembarkation: We chose self disembark. Our experience was it went very smooth and we had no problems. I believe we were "released" some time between 7:15-7:30. We were off the ship, through customs and at the airport by 8:00. Grade: A

Overall I would grade the cruise a B. Not our best cruise, but certainly was an enjoyable time! I would choose this cruise if you are interested in the itinerary and looking for a very slow pace on board. If you are looking to be busy and engaged, both day and night, this may not be the cruise for you. I strongly believe every cruise is different and I appreciate each one for their strong points. Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>