Carnival Dream Cruise Review by bdubb: Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Dream

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Dream

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

I'm a first time cruiser 27 years old female and I sailed with my 26 year old fiance.

I did a lot of research before my cruise so I felt that I was pretty much ready for anything. Well not everything, after waiting for and 1 1/2 at the airport for the carnival shuttle to pick us up I was pretty exhausted from all the traveling, since I flew in on the same day and was not expecting to wait that long for the shuttle, since mostly all the tips was talking about flying in the same day and staying at a hotel, I thought there would not be that many people waiting for the shuttle. I was wrong there were a ton of people and 4 buses came and went before it was our turn to get on and we arrived just shortly after 10 am. Not really a problem, I'm just impatient which is my own problem, lol. When the shuttle finally came the ride there was short and a breeze mostly because I fell asleep and so it went by in like 5 minutes.

When we arrived at the port the line was so long I almost More fainting I was hungry and thirsty and it took about 1 1/2 hrs to get to the front because the dream arrived late because of weather. I actually told my fiance half way thru, I want to go home this isn't worth it, lol. I was of course lying, I've been planning this vacay for 8 months and there was nothing that was going to keep me from getting on that boat.When we finally got on the boat, there was really no direction for what we were suppose to do, so we went on the search for our room. We upgraded to a deluxe ocean view the month prior and was so glad, the room was big the window was nice but dirty the whole time, no problem though we could still see ocean and it was nice especially at night, it was scary looking out and seeing nothing, it made me really calm though.
While we were waiting in line to get on the boat they gave us a paper saying we were gonna miss the bahamas because of a storm, surprise yes but I was glad because I didn't have anything planned there, but I think some were disappointed. Anyway as for the ship, I was not expecting the amount of movement that was on the ship. I took bonine since this was my first cruise but I don't think I'm the kind of person that would get seasick anyway but I was not taking any chances. This ship was rocking like, well I don't know since this was my first cruise but I can tell you I was literally getting rocked from left to right and hit the wall a few times. Granted I was tipsy because if the boat is rocking it only takes a few drinks to get you tipsy I realized. It didn't bother me in a bad way, except it made me sleepy all day, I told my fiance I feel like a baby getting rocked to sleep.

Now about the food, I thought the food was okay, the best meal I had was a pork chop at lunch which was delicious and the lobster and shrimp was good. The dining room staff was amazing, they sat your napkin on your lap, I never went without a drink, and they replenished my silverware, as if I couldn't eat my appetizer with the same fork as my entree, it was a fun to be treated well.My fiance ate at the grill most of the time and room service. He had room service like 10 times but I didn't complain until the end because you can only it so many sandwiches before you want something hot. But all in all the food was good, I don't have that many complaints, I didn't really eat at the buffet at all so I can't really comment there.
As far as the island's go St.thomas was fun, I had the Magen's bay and Downtown shopping thru carnival, it was fun but wish I would have went home after the beach, which you have the option to, but I went downtown to find cigarettes for my brother in law. They were the same price as on the ship so I waited and got it there. Magan's bay was fun a lot of seaweed but no jellyfish so I was happy. St. Maarten was my favorite out of the two though, I booked with Bernard's, it was nice because we went to places off the beaten path and my tour guide told us everything about the Island. Orient beach was beautiful but was only here for 1 hr and it was raining for 30min. Maho beach was fun but the waves were huge, the ocean kicked my but, I got slammed up against the sand like 20times,lol. I had sand burn on my face and 2 weeks later no lie still have sand in my hair. The sea days were fun but I was not into the activities so I just lounged and people watched which was just fine for me after my beach days. All in all the trip was fun, Carnival was great, but it was like Disney, I need a vacay from my vacay. Next time going to Hawaii.lol Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Oceanview Main 2428

My cabin was spacious and had lots of closet space. very quiet, location was a litte far from everything, but that's probably why it was quiet.

(4)
Magen's bay was nice, there was not much beach part, the sand seemed to only go back like 20 feet. I don't know what I was expecting but I thought beaches were bigger, but this is a bay so that may be the reason. Lots of seaweed, I think there was just a storm so can't help that. Water was warm which was nice and very calm, so great for people who can't swim.
Read 1069 Reviews

(3)
Very nice excursion, the bus was on time, but it is not air conditioned like carnival description said. That didn't really matter our driver was going so fast I think it was better than air conditioning. Beach was lovely, downtown shopping didn't really find anything I wanted, but I wasn't looking for anything specific besides cigarettes. All in all nice Island, and there are chickens everywhere running free, very interesting place.
Read 1069 Reviews

Took Bernard's tour, was kind of confusing with the time change happening while we were on the boat, so everyone in our tour was about an hour late for the tour, but they were very accommodating and knew me by name when I showed my reservation. We had Slim as our tour guide. He was funny, he kept saying I was like his sister from another mother, so I guess we bonded. He said our group was the best he had. He took us to an iguana farm and a beach where we held sand dollars and these spiky round things, sorry cannot think of the name, and a starfish. While we were there some other tourist were robbed like 10 feet away from us. It was crazy but the perps got away. We went to orient beach whis was nice but only 20 minutes to swim as it started pouring once we got there. Oh and I made a mistake and went to the totally nude side and well you know. What I don't understand is if you are totally nude why do you still have tan lines. Any way we went to marigot after which was beautiful but once pastry from sarafinas was 4.50, but it was good. Maho beach was next and fun, but the waves were huge and I swear they were after me, even when I got out the water a big wave came and dragged me back in. It was to strong for me to fight and my fiance was laughing at me too. Okay it was funny. He got thrown into a rock and blood was dripping down his leg and he didn't even know it, so I guess he had fun. Lots of planes went by, and it was raining there too, but no need to get out the water as it stopped after 5 minutes.