Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by loco88: Norwegian Epic

Member Since 2010

Compare Prices on Norwegian Epic Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Norwegian Epic

Sail Date: November 2011

Hello fellow cruisers! I will try and cover everything discussed in other reviews and just about the boat in general and give a very reliable and honest review. I traveled with a group of 24 people all over the age of 18. We booked the Norwegian Epic leaving from Miami and going to St. Maarten, St. Thomas and Nassau. No thanks to our travel agent but I was able to find out that Norwegian offers a beverage package. That is unlimited drinks on board, which for our group saved us thousands of dollars. It is hard to find information on this so here is how it works...You must be a group of 20 or more people in a minimum of 8 rooms. There are 2 packages to choose from, regular or premium. Everyone in the party has to take the package and the same package. Anyone under 21 needs to take the soda package. We took the regular package which included call liquor (Stoli, Bacardi, etc) and all frozen drinks. The cost was $322 for the week. Now on with the rest of the More review..

Getting on the boat probably took about 30 minutes which was pretty good. The rooms were not ready when we first got on board so we headed to the buffet to get some lunch. They had a great variety of food and it was much better tasting than what we previously had on Carnival Miracle the year before. After lunch off to the rooms. They are very attractive looking but a little small with the new design. Plenty of storage but not much room to move around. I am sure you already read about the bathroom and shower. I wouldn't choose that type of setup but it wasn't that big of a deal to put up with for a week. Great mid ship location, great balcony views, no noise and not too bad to get to the one set of elevators.

We hit almost every specialty restaurant and the Manhattan Room. The only one I missed was Taste. Service is a little slow especially in the Manhattan Room. Getting the check for the cover charge in the specialty restaurants is not very quick either but the food more than makes up for it. I can rave enough about all of the food. It would be hard to pick a favorite but the Churascaria would have to top my list. Sushi was fresh, Teppanyaki was great, noodle shop was pretty good, not Chinatown but not bad. The French was great as well and the service there was excellent. Get the lobster or the the duck or do what we did and we all got lobster and another dish to share. The butter lobster is a big amount so you can share it. If you go Italian go for the Carbonara dishes as we thought it was the best.

Next item is the Cirque Dreams and Dinner. I cannot rave enough about this. It was one of the best shows I have ever seen. You cannot miss this, seriously. Get the standard seats like we did. The view is better and we got served before the premium seats did. All the reviews said the food was terrible but everyone in my group liked it so I don't know why it got bad reviews on the food. We saw Blue Man group...not my cup of tea. I thought it was weird and would not recommend it but a few people in my group liked it so take a chance. You can always leave in the middle if you don't like it. The Legends show was great and so was the Second City comedians. We hit the dueling piano bar for a bit too and that was ok. We never made it to the Blues bar. We went to the Ice Bar which was cool to see but the drinks were terrible and I was too cold so I left after half of my first drink. Still worth it for the experience but the bartender was a jerk and just wanted to get out since we were the last group of the day. The 2 night clubs were Spice and Bliss and both were really fun. I prefer Spice but it wasn't open every night. Follow the Asian DJ as he was really great. I don't remember his name.

The water park is amazing. You will never be on water slides as good as these on any boat. The longest wait was like 10 minutes and we went on them almost everyday. The Epic bounce which is the trampoline, always had long lines because it wasn't open very long each day so only 2 people in my group got to go on it. A few people went on the rock climbing wall and said that was great.

Getting on and off the boat was very quick and easy. It literally took less than 5 minutes every time.

I would go back on this boat in a minute. It will be hard to go back to an older boat after being on this one. You are definitely spoiled after being on the Epic. I hope my review helped and I hope I covered everything. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic Balcony Stateroom Deck 12 8096

Cabin 8096, great location, quiet and not too far to the elevators. I would prefer a regular bathroom but I was able to deal with this setup for a week. Balcony was nice but I really wish we would have been able to open the dividers since we had 8 rooms in a row. They only allow them opened when the boat is not moving. What's the point of that? The rooms were a little cramped because of the new design but they did look nice and had a ton of storage.

We went to the beach and rented wave runners and just relaxed in the sun for a few hours. Then we headed to Senior Frogs. This is something you must do at this port....so much fun! It is a 5 minute walk back to the boat from here so it was great to do before you have to head back. Try the fresh conch salad and ask for a drink called a firefly....you will be thanking me.
Read 2614 Nassau Reviews

We took a bus to the beach and stayed there the whole day. I don't remember the name of the beach but check out all spots to rent chairs besides the first one you see. Some offer a free drink with chair rental!

We took a ferry to St John and went to Trunk Bay. This has to be the most beautiful beach in the world. It took about an hour from the ship to the beach but was well worth it. After we got back to St. Thomas we did a little shopping by the port and just headed back to the boat.
Read 2320 St. Thomas Reviews