Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Review by Tony UK

Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: Southampton
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: C2
See More About: Celebrity Eclipse Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Autumn sun in the Mediterranean
We have cruised Celebrity many times, but this is the first cruise with a majority of English passengers. Dont get me wrong I am Enlish and love my country but the experience was different to what we had experienced in previous cruises!

Travel to the port was easy and luggage put straight ont the ship. Lines were fairly lengthy for embarkation and we had to ask when we saw the 'priority boarding' sign what it meant. We are Elite mmembers and it turned out we could use that line - it wasnt very clear!We met suite guests who didnt use this line as they didnt realise either.

Ship was spotless and our stateroom 1243 was very well presented. Stateroom attendants Gilbert and Victor were very attentive throughout. The larger verandah makes this a great choice especially as there were 3 of us sharing.I had to ask for the kettle to be removed. It took up too much space on the dressing table and after all free room service is available.

I wont say much about the ports as others have commented except to say Venice was magical and it was well worth the $22 into st Marks. It helped us to get ahead of the crowds!The Elite event sailing out of Venice was marvellous.

The guest mix was much older - I dont mean years but attitude!Everywhere seemed very quiet especially after 10pm. The Martini bar was a wasteland and the small group in the Molecular bar was I think the liveliest.We saw crowds leaving the early theatre and head straight up the elevators to bed.In the theatre there was lukewarm response from many in the audience and the cast did extremely well to keep positive at times.

I'm not particularly a night owl but it was early even for me. Many of the Brits on board constantly bemoaned the drink prices on board, although I don't think many appreciated the free pour system versus the much smaller measures on other lines. We had a drinks package which we enjoyed with wine with each course and bottled water at dinner, martinis, fresh juices and smoothies in the aqua spa and coffees teas and late nightcaps in the cafe. Even water and sodas to take off ship at ports.Also very good wines in the speciality restaurants throughout meals- stonking good value! You cant compare on price alone - you have to consider the quality of what you are getting!

Captains club events were well attended although I think Celebrity needs to rethink some of these. Those aimed at Elite and select and all captains club are now much greater numbers and not quite so special!Many Elite members no longer attend - a pity.

Smoking continues to be a great nuisance especially sky lounge, aqua spa entrance (food side) and on deck 5 especially when the sun is on the smoking side.

As we were back to back we didn't experience disembarkation in Southampton. More on food, entertainment etc in my next review on the Transatlantic!

All in all an excellent autumn cruise - well done Celebrity.

Publication Date: 11/22/11