MSC Poesia Cruise Review by geminitraveler2: MSC POESIA - a great cruise

Compare Prices on MSC Poesia Canada & New England Cruises

MSC POESIA - a great cruise

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

I read the many critical reviews but booked 3 consecutive cruises totaling 23 nights for a relatively low price anyway. I am writing my first cruise review after taking 10 cruises because my great experience and belief that some of the criticisms are dated. MSC must have worked on some of the points people criticized it on based on my experience.

My embarkation was on 10/22 in NYC. The ports visited were Halifax & St John in Canada, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport, NYC, Ft Lauderdale, Columbia, Panama, Costa Rica, Mexico, Ft Lauderdale again, Key West, Bahamas with disembarkation in Ft Lauderdale. The first 19 days were booked as one cruise but it was divided into a 7 day Fall foliage Canada/New England cruise and a 12 night re positioning that included the Western Caribbean ports. The final 4 nights were booked as a separate cruise and stopped in Key West and Bahamas. There were many wonderful sea days.

I did notice a few differences from the other (American style) cruise More lines I've been on. First, the passengers on the first 19 days of my cruise were overwhelmingly European. In addition, they were Europeans who eiter didn't or wouldn't speak much English. They spoke mostly only German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French etc. This is very different than my other cruises where all of the Europeans I met were fluent in English. The Dutch travelers on the cruise were the exception. This was a plus for me most of the time and a little irritating other times. The ships officers, managers, and ship excursion leaders were just a little laid-back for my taste but always spoke English, paid attention and resolved any issues I had.

The entertainment was phenomenal and was broken into 4 parts. One part was the evening show in the big theater. The expected dancers, singers, and jugglers were present with acrobats, illusionists and opera singers added. The second part were the classical musicians that played in various venues throughout the ship. The third part were the multiple bands with a lead singer that played a wide range of contemporary, Latin and other music in the 3 big lounges. The fourth category were my favorite and is what sets MSC apart in my opinion. MSC employs a big team of young entertainers, called an animation team, that organizes everything from games by the pool to a regularly scheduled audience participation show. I've always seen games by the pool but nothing like this group that worked all day to dance with you, make jokes, put on costumes and just create a good feeling for the cruisers.

The food was fantastic and many meals were some of the best I've had on a cruise ship. A little less choice but better over all. The midnight buffets called Le Magnifique and Neapolitan are not to be missed. Fresh made pasta, the best salad and desert bars I've seen as well food from all parts of Italy with Italian favorites always available made the food stand out. Mexican, Chinese, Indian and other foods were regularly part of the buffet. The burgers, hot dogs and pizza were superior. Coffee, hot and iced tea, juices, and water were available in abundance. Free ice cream by the pool was available most hours.

No one can ever argue that it is not one of the most beautiful ships out there.

I am certainly going to cruise again with MSC and met many on the ship that are repeat MSC cruisers. Less

Read more MSC Poesia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Poesia Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Poesia Interior Petrarca Deck 10070

Typical inside cabin with everything you need. Great if you are like me and use the cabin to sleep, get cleaned up, change clothes, and keep everything safe.

Acadia national park with it's Cadillac mountain, lakes, and trails is stunning. I definitely want to get back and explore more. The city of Bar Harbor is very picturesque and fun for shopping, eating and walking around.

Boston with Lexington and Concord should be a pilgrimage stop for all Americans. It overflows with events from early American history and was home to some of the most important American thinkers. Walking, shopping and eating in the historical area was lots of fun.
Read 223 Boston Reviews

Cartagena was beautiful, historical, and modern. Its historical portion which is recognized as a UNESCO world heritage site was surprisingly similar to an old European city.

The cross country train ride that paralleled the canal was one of the best excursions I've taken.

This review is for Halifax and St John in New Brunswick. I am glad I went but once and maybe again after many years is enough. Both are beautiful, clean small cities with an abundance of natural beauty, history and friendly people but the sights are limited.
Read 350 Halifax Reviews

The mansions of Newport and their history blew me away. I loved visiting the palaces in Europe and now see we had them here.
Read 125 Newport Reviews

Sloth sanctuary was fantastic and included a boat ride and guided walk in the rain forest.