Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by lewnic

Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: I1

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sky Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sky Deck Plans
NCL Sky - Solid 3
Considering my family of 3 booked last minute on the Sky departing Miami on 11/14 only 3 days before sailing at $790 total this was a GREAT cruise for the money. (5% Total Rewards discount)

Only thing to keep in mind is that you get what you pay for and on those terms this cruise was a 5. However, it does not compare to the larger and newer ships ... nor should it.

Carpet needs to be replaced in several areas. One day we had a bath towel with a hole in it. The rooms are small (get what you pay for) and old (remember get what you pay for). Bed firmness was fine for me. It was the first time we'd seen a tube TV in so long my daughter thought something was wrong with the set. The picture was fine, but she'd never seen a non-flat TV. Rust on the bottom of the bathroom door. No bath products at all, only shampoo and shower gel in dispenser in shower area. On a good note, the pull out sleeper was GREAT and my child wants one for her room at home. So easy to put back in we put it back every day instead of waiting for the room attendant to put it away.

The kids program was run so well that my child (and her new friends) were sobbing when the parents picked them up the last night. Food and service in main dining room was so good we found no need to pay for upgraded meals (lobster as promised). Found Longboard's Sports Bar a fantastic place for wings (fried crispy with sauce on the side) -- but skip the "tortilla" chips and dip -- oh and the fish and chips were good too. We caught the Monday and Thursday night games in the bar and it was a good time.

Drinks on-board were good but we used bladders and they worked perfectly. On-board account was only $100.

We are Total Rewards members and our CAS cards and drink cards were in our room.

Kids pool is a little weird because it's in the middle of the quiet adult area. So it's hard to balance between letting your child have fun and being considerate of others. Although there was never a shortage of misbehaved children and crass parents so our well-behaved child never stood out. Most adults moved to the sides to get a little quiet.

Internet on-board is useless if you have to check in with work and happen to use a VPN. It would not work for me and I had to literally take my laptop to the Internet Manager and shove it under his nose with a challenge for him to make it work or give me my money back. My suggestion, if you are not using their computer and want to use Wi-Fi, buy a few minutes and make sure it works to your satisfaction before purchasing a larger plan. Apparently the Internet is sub-contracted to another company so they don't offer the same "no questions asked" refund policies and will do everything NOT to give you a refund if you purchase too much time and have problems ... as in my case. Even when I went to Guest Services, all they could do is refer me back to the Internet Manager.

I will go again for sure when I am looking for a quick, cheap get-a-way.

Publication Date: 11/22/11
Read the Bahamas ports review by lewnic
More Norwegian Sky Cruise Reviews