Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by HeinBloed: One of the best itineraries you can book with NCL

HeinBloed
Member Since 2006
8,910 Posts

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jade Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

One of the best itineraries you can book with NCL

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

Embarkation:

Perfect. We arrived around 10.00 hrs with our bags which was accepted. After few minutes waiting we could go to our priority check-in (Latitudes Platinum). Few minutes more we could already go on board. Our rooms were not ready before 14.00 hrs but they offered baggage storage and delivered our valuables into our stateroom so we could leave again without carrying all bags with us.

Public Rooms:

It was our 4th time on NORWEGIAN JADE since 2008 and we could not see any big differences between our 1st time which was our major concern. I love this ship because of the right size: small enough to find easily around - big enough not to get bored. Still dislike the seats in Stardust Theater.

Cabin:

We booked three cabins next to each other as we had our both's parents with us. The location just at the stairways was perfect to find easily around. We had no noise from the stairways. Small things to be fixed during the drydock-stay in More November but no reason to notice and to complain. You can feel that they are now 1 1/2 only for all rooms.

Fitness & Recreation:

too busy to use it this time. But daypass for Thermal Suite increased to 30 USD/day.

Enrichment:

Did not participate to any kind of such activities. Too busy as there was only one day of sea. Had more appointments on board than in my office.

Rates:

The best value you can get for this money.

Dining:

We could have better food like with HAL, Princess, Cunard if we are paying their rates. For the rate we paid (abt. 120 USD/night) we got a great dining experience. Good or bad (depends to individual point of view): the everyday available menu grows while the daily changing menu options is smaller. One regional dish which is not on the menu but presented verbally. The everyday available menu varies between Alizar and Grand Pacific (like two different steaks) - so you have more options. We went to Le Bistro, Jazz Brunch (in Le Bistro), Cagney's, Teppanyaki and Sushi-Bar. Le Bistro as good as last time. Jazz Brunch was an outstanding experience. Worth every Cent and you should book the minute you get onboard. Cagney's - quality of food good as usual but disappointing as many dishes are not available in Europe. Teppanyaki - smaller changes like no more martini taster, beans are peeled, cake in addition to the ice cream. Sushi-Bar - quality good (better than first experience years before: now more authentic Japanese and not Americanized) but price ala-carte onboard compared to prices ashore not a real advantage when you eat here. Lunch we had once at Blue Lagoon Cafe - a little weaker due to smaller menu (like no more Fried Noodles). Suprising Grand Pacific was closed during lunch on several days. But Garden Cafe was a good option.

Entertainment:

Personal disappointment: I wanted to see "Shout" which I missed in January 2011 but now missed again because only shown every 2 weeks. Elements was great as first time like Cirque Soleil style. This time we were smart enough to find seats in the rear of the theater to have full overview. Gary Lovini was great as first time.

Service:

AAA+++ELITE ELITE ELITE...

The crew is like family to me: starting from the Top with Captain Kim Karlsson down to the sailor who took great care for us during tendering. We knew many restaurant staff members from previous cruises: Adina, Alina, Mahmut, Furtaso, Monica, Ernesto, Yohannes, Lilibeth, Michelle and many many more. They treated us not just a normal guests but very good friends. We return their treatment by many German Chocolote we kept ready for friends. Again: we could go with them on CARNIVAL SPLENDOR (with all the technical problems) but with this crew I would not mind to make such experiences because they would carry us through the whole ship without any elevator working. The crew is the best we know on sea. The cordiality we experience with NCL we do not experience with others.

I need to mention Captain Kim, Hotel Director Armando and F&B-Manager Alain who learned that we were doing a family cruise: i. e. incl. both's parents in the 70s/80s. And they made our parents and us an unforgettable experience. I can only say thank you.

Shore Excursions:

All made by ourselves due to special language and mobility requirements.

Value for Money:

AAA+++ELITE ELITE ELITE...

Overall:

AAA+++ELITE ELITE ELITE...

You can see pictures in my blog. The access thread can be find here:

Here you see pictures of ship, places and stories.

I wish NCL would offer more such special itineraries other than rounds. Less

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jade Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 8 10600

I always thought that cabins like ours directly at the staircase would be loud and noisy but we were nicely surprised how calm it was and made ways to other venues very short.

The was the highlight of the cruise and intial reason to go on this cruise. We were lucky that the driver told us from his family's point of view on the civil war. So it was living history. More you find in my blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30934460#post30934460 Day 4 in Dubrovnik.

It should be Koper in Slovenia and not Kotor in Montenegro but there was no Koper in the checkbox. It was the perfect port for the start of the cruise. Very calm and relaxing. We saw an old historical church in the surrounding and had a great wine tasting. More you find in my blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30934460#post30934460 Day 2 in Koper.
Read 128 Kotor Reviews

We went to Amalfi. Unfortunately the 2nd part of the shore excursion had to be withdrawn due to heavy rain. Amalfi is worth to visit everytime and we had a great tour company. More you find in my blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30934460#post30934460 Day 7 in Naples.
Read 646 Naples Reviews

I hate this port Civitavecchia but I love Rome. We had to fly the same afternoon home and my friend's parents never have been in Rome. So we arranged a photoshot tour on the way to the airport. More you find in my blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30934460#post30934460 Day 8 in Civitavecchia.

We went to Krka National Park to see the waterfalls. Then we had a true authentic Croation BBQ. Due to mistake of restaurant I had to ask for a doggy bag and wanted to eat it onboard. They confiscated my food because it smelled too good and I am sure they had a great party with the food. The joke: they refer to the poster to warn to take food ASHORE. More you find in my blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30934460#post30934460 Day 3 in Split.
Read 142 Split Reviews

We were visiting Taormina but our ship berthed in Messina which is not in the checkbox. It was a great experience and my expectation to be killed by the Mafia on this cruise was replaced to act like in Sophia Loren's and Clark Gable's "It started in Naples". Living Italia lifestyle pure. Best place to have true authentic ice cream you have never before. I am looking for someone who invented something to make ice-cream to carry without having a fridge... More you find in my blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30934460#post30934460 Day 5 in Messina.

(5.5)
We arrived a day earlier and stayed at Hilton Garden Inn in Venice Mestre (Mainland). Great location and great value for the price. Easy to reach airport and port. We booked a private water taxi but this did not show up. They forgot to arrange. Private canal tour was great. Visit in Murano Glass manufacturer a little unnecessary. But Venice is the place for romance that I deeply regret that I have never been there before. Book a portside balcony cabin to experience the set sail out of Venice. More you find in my blog: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=30934460#post30934460 Days 0 and 1
Read 508 Venice Reviews