Ruby Princess Cruise Review by sgjanice: Nice cruise but not our best

sgjanice
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Nice cruise but not our best

Sail Date: November 2011

Had fun arriving in Ft Lauderdale a day ahead and meeting with some cruise critic members. Getting on the ship was fairly quick...to the waiting room. We had to wait two hours to actually get into the ship because of it coming back from the Med and needing the US coast guard to clear it. I had an idea this was going to happen from reading CC posts but others were in the dark, especially the people standing outside in the hot sun for two hours. It was close to 2:00 before we got on the ship so we never even had a chance to do the scavenger hunt. People were just wanting to eat something and get settled before the muster drill.
This was our first Princess cruise..we love Royal Caribbean so we did a lot of comparing. I thought our balcony room was designed well with lots of storage space. I loved the balcony especially the flooring (not cement). The bed was pretty comfy after getting a topper. The ship was very pretty and clean. The design of the floors was close to the design of the More other ships we've been on. The breakfast buffet was very good..one of the best. I thought the dinner buffet was good too, dh didn't. He loved the pizza and hamburgers. International cafe had wonderful desserts, the other food looked good too. The MDR was fine nothing to brag about. I could always find something I liked but Im not picky. We did have anytime dining and I really liked not having to rush to dinner any night. I did miss having the same waiter because anytime isn't very personal. We never had a problem getting a table any night. We tried Sabitinis for our anniversary and were greatly disappointed. It seemed like they were having an off night. Food and service were very bad. Many people around us were sending food back to the kitchen. They did bring us a cake and sing Happy Anniversary which I thought was a nice touch.
Our room attendant was the very best. Anything we needed we got. He always had the biggest smile for us.
Here's what we hated...the casino and the drinks. Any drink I had was watered down. Good thing I was able to bring wine on board because this is what I drank all week. I love a cosmo with dinner but they were sooo bad I resorted to wine.
We love to spend some time in the casino and have done extremely well on RCI. The casino on this ship was sooo bad. The slot machines were the tightest we've ever played. We didn't see anyone win a thing. On the last day of the cruise I was having dinner with regular Princess cruisers and they told me Princess casinos are known for not paying out much money. Wish I learned this on day one.
Our ports were just ok on this cruise, Princess Cays, St Martin(my favorite) St Thomas and Grand Turk. We mostly took this cruise to experience the ship not the ports. Because we met some very nice people it made this cruise enjoyable. Our last cruise on RCI Adventure of the Seas was exceptional that this one was a bit of a disappointment. Would I cruise Princess again..probably, if the ports were really good and a different ship. Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ruby Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Ruby Princess Oceanview Double with Balcony Baja Deck B502

Loved the cabin! Loads of storage space. Well designed. Very nice balcony.