Seven Seas Navigator Cruise Review by SJSharks62: Last time sailing with Regent Seven Seas

SJSharks62
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Seven Seas Navigator Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Last time sailing with Regent Seven Seas

Sail Date: November 2011

If I'd never been on a cruise before, this cruise wouldn't have been bad (although, for the money, I still would have been disappointed). Given that I've cruised with this line previously (including with the Paul Gauguin when it was part of the line) AND just completed a cruise on Azamara earlier this year, this trip proved to be far below expectations.

With the exception of the housekeeping fiasco, all of my comments are of a comparative nature (to the past RSSC cruises and the recent Azamara cruise). I'll start with the area that 'stood alone' in that it was bad in any context: Housekeeping.

We were fortunate to have an extraordinary stewardess (Jocelyn) for the first 1/2 of our cruise and cannot say enough good things about her. She exemplified everything I would expect from a high-end (i.e., expensive) cruise (or hotel, for that matter) experience. She was friendly, attentive, efficient and professional. Unfortunately, our positive experience with More housekeeping came to an abrupt end when Jocelyn fell ill and we fell into the RSSC Navigator housekeeping abyss.

There did not appear to be any consistency to the personnel or the process associated with tending our cabin. The times, people and level of upkeep were all over the map. Worst of all, our cruise ended (literally, the last night) with no service at all. I happened to catch a stewardess in the hall tending another cabin (at close to 9PM) and asked if there would be no housekeeping that evening. To her credit, she looked embarrassed that I even need ask and inquired as to whether our stewardess had ever appeared. Of course, she had not (whoever she was supposed to be that night). Bottom line is that we received no housekeeping at all that night. We'd not been left with the door signs (in the room every night when Jocelyn was working) for indicating a desire for service and had called earlier in the evening (an 'interesting' process whereby you press the 'stewardess' button on your phone and await a return call) to request service; unfortunately, no response ever came from that.

While we were not incapable of tending our own cabin and had no urgent need of any particular housekeeping service, this is one of the things that makes the luxury experience a luxury. Clearly, this left an incredibly bad taste in our mouths and a lack of desire to expend our resources on another RSSC cruise.

Other areas that were not nearly so negative on their own, but paled in comparison to past RSSC cruises and that of Azamara were:

Dining: The dining rooms (La Veranda, Compass Rose, Pool Deck and Prime 7) were all fine (not amazing, but fine). Room service, on the other hand, was spotty. On multiple occasions, when ordering a meal (breakfast, lunch and dinner at various points over the 10 days) and specifying that it would be for TWO guests, we were served without the 'extras' (i.e., utensils, napkins, plates, condiments, etc.) expected (and eventually, specifically requested) for TWO people. Additionally, unless specifically requested, food obtained from room service did not come with anything other than that specifically listed on the room service menu (also significantly abbreviated from previous cruises) - as an example, if you ordered soup, you needed to order bread and butter separately if you wanted them.

Public Rooms/Cabins: The primary area of observation here is that the Navigator is ready for a bath. Carpeting was worn and stained throughout the ship and in the cabin.

Activities/Excursions: While the few organized excursions in which we participated were okay (again, not excellent, just okay), they were disorganized. Delays were the standard (and not due to weather related issues as can sometimes occur and is entirely forgivable). Something that Azamara did wonderfully (and RSSC not at all on this cruise) was to have a local representative board the ship in advance of disembarkation at every port (often the night prior) to provide information and MAPS for that port. I found this to be extremely beneficial on those occasions when I chose to explore independently.

Service: With the exception of housekeeping, service was very good in some areas and spotty in others. Again, not awful; however, my previous experiences with both RSSC and Azamara included consistently excellent service across the board.

Value-for-Money: This is the biggie. I cruised Azamara (7 days in Italy on the Journey) in April of this year and spent less than half what the 10 day Navigator cruise cost (P.S. I cruised a single traveler with NO single supplement in an equivalent cabin). The ONLY difference for which I benefited was that of 'free' (higher-end beverages are not free on RSSC) alcohol. For those thousands of dollars, several people could not have consumed that much 'free' alcohol. Long story, short - this, in addition to all of the above, will be why my next cruise is on Azamara and NOT on RSSC. Less

Read more Seven Seas Navigator cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Seven Seas Navigator Review >>

Cabin review: Seven Seas Navigator Deluxe Suite Deck Six 711

Our cabin was fine, overall. As noted before, the carpets need cleaning/replacing. I wouldn't cruise any other way than with a veranda - it makes a world of difference!

Actually, I don't think we went to 'Dominica'; however, our stop wasn't on the list of options. The port was Cayo Levantado in the Dominican Republic. We were offered only two options at this port: 1) Independently go to Cayo - essentially a private beach for cruise passengers or 2) Take an organized excursion in Samana. Apparently, it isn't safe to run around the DR unattended. The island was an excellent choice and we fully enjoyed it. It was beautiful and included an open bar and BBQ. The shopping 'mall' on the way in was a bit heavy handed, but we still picked up a few fun items and truly enjoyed this port.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

This would have been our least favorite port had it not been for the Atlantis portion. 100% touristy (felt a bit like Vegas); however, it was pretty and did provide some entertainment. We also started with a bus tour here (really nice driver, but nothing of interest to see - the 'forts' were about it and they were nothing to write home about) and got off at Atlantis and made our own way back to the ship. Caution here: If you depend on a taxi to get you back to the ship, your options are limited: 1) Wait for 15 people to gather and shove themselves into a taxi and then pay $4 per person or 2) Take it on your own for $15.
Read 2645 Nassau Reviews

This was our least favorite port. We explored independently and found nothing of interest to recommend it to anyone else.
Read 1367 San Juan Reviews

Fun (expensive) shopping, and yummy French pastry and chocolate; however, stereo-typically unfriendly French locals. BTW, I've been to France on several occasions (including Paris multiple times) and the 'real' French are always friendly.

We did take the bus tour (from Philipsburg on the Dutch side around to St. Martin on the French side and back again). It was an odd combination of natural beauty, industry and poverty. The stop in the St. Martin capital of Marigot was the best as we did some 'local' shopping there. The downside of this port was that we visited on a Sunday and much of the island was closed for the day.

Once again, here we took the organized excursion in the form of a bus tour. It went all the way to the top and back down again. While this afforded amazing vistas and picture taking opportunities, it was longer than we liked (over 2.5 hours) for what it offered. Also, there was a stop at Myett/Cane Garden Bay that was clearly set up as an 'opportunity' for the cruise tourists to spend money in this isolated spot. I could have gone without that stop and been perfectly happy with the rest.
Read 502 Tortola Reviews