Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by kinzukid: Cruising is not what it used to be.

kinzukid
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Norwegian Dawn Southern Caribbean Cruises

Cruising is not what it used to be.

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Southern Caribbean

We just come back from this 11 day southern Caribbean cruise on the Norwegian Dawn. The boat was beautiful but the public spaces lacked seating. The Stardust theater was big and the seating was done that everyone could see. The leg room was a bit short. The bathroom in the cabin was the biggest one we have seen on any of our other sailings, especially the shower. The cabin was a bit small. With the two twins pushed together, there as only space on the one side of the bed to get out. The other person had to crawl over the bed.

The food at the main dinning rooms were good but lack variety. Half the menu did not change every night. It stayed the same for all 11 days. The other half did change but did not offer a great variety. I felt like if I wanted variety, such as Italian, Mexican or steak, they wanted us to go to the special restaurants that had an up charge to eat there. We choose not to eat at any additional charge restaurant. The Garden Cafe was average, no better More than say the "Golden Coral". It had a big variety, but just the same each day. The one item I did like was the carving station. The meat there was tasty. The seating in the Garden Cafe was so tight, that once people were seated you could not get through the aisles. Very tight. We did eat at the Blue Lagoon, after we found out there was no up charge. The food here was good and offered several meals, but once again the menu did not change.

My husband manage to catch a cold on board and we went to see the doctor. Upon walking in the door we were told the charge was $110.00 to see the doctor plus and prescriptions medicines. We walked out. They should have a fee more like $20 to $30 plus medication and passengers would use them and then not infect other passengers. By the time we arrive back in Miami, many people on board were coughing and sick.

Drinks were too expensive at $8.95 or more each and draft beers at $5.50 is too much. I usually play Bingo but when I saw the prices that start at $39 up to $69 I choose not to play. The winnings were only $150 per game and I had to spend at least $39 to have a chance. No thanks.

The best part was the entertainment on board. All the shows were great. The ship board cast were very good and talented. The comedian was funny and the shows had good variety. Before each show, the Assistant Cruise Director was selling pull tabs. Just another way to get money from the passengers. Seems like every time you turned around, NCL was looking for money.

Another money maker for them was the internet. They offered several packages, one at $150, $100 and a pay as you go, at $.75 per minute. I did use these services on a pay as I go plan, which I thought was very expensive. I only used it to communicate with our son a few times during the voyage. Many of the passengers took their laptops off the ship with them at port and used the free Wi-Fi there.

We have cruised many times over the years, we like some of the changes, like freestyle dinning but don't like up charges and all the other additional charges and overpriced drinks, bingo and internet. Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 9095

Great showers, biggest on any line. Cabin was small, no space on both sides of the bed when pushed together. Closet space was ample.

Great port. Easy access to stores and shopping. Easy walk from the pier. Nice shops.

Another great shopping port that is built up and worth the trip in. Take the water taxi next to the pier. It is only $5.00 each and you can ride all day. Quick and easy way to get to the shopping district.