Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by JohnJay100: A spectacular cruise again

A spectacular cruise again

Sail Date: November 2011
Embarkation: San Juan

FOOD:

The Summit still has trays in the buffet area for carrying your food which is greatly appreciated. There is a cloth on the tray and the eating utensils are wrapped in a napkin next to the trays. If you look like you may need assistance, There is always a staff member discretely asking if you would like any assistance.

We ate most breakfasts in Michael's Club or the Waterfall Buffet. There was a "Poached Eggs and More" near the exit to the fantail area of the ship. Eggs Benedict were made as you asked for them, not before hand. Omelets were made to order at the Omelet Station. The chef always had two omelet pans going at the same time to reduce the time at this most popular station. Pastries from the bakery were light and fluffy. Oatmeal was very creamy as it always is on a celebrity ship. The coffee is always hot and the wait staff came by the tables every few minutes with a refill insulated urn to see if you wanted more. If you wanted, there was More open seating for breakfast in the main dining room where you ordered off the menu.

Lunch was usually eaten near the pool from the AquaSpa Cafe which had Light and Healthy Breakfasts, Healthy Choice Dining for lunch. Or the Poolside Grill where I had a "Naked Cheeseburger" (no bun) which got a chuckle from the chefs the first day I ordered it. Along with the lettuce, pickles, & onion. They patties were taken off of the grill when I asked for it. Hotdogs were also grilled to perfection.

The Cova Cafe & Pasticceria had Croissants & Danish along with Tea Sandwiches, Pastries and Cova Tapas.

The Cosmopolitan food was excellent at dinner. Escargot A La Bourgogne is a must appetizer . Everything that was ordered at our table was prepared to perfection. We had wine at every meal and our Sommelier kept our remaining bottle at the correct temperature until the next evening. During the cruise I forced myself to forgo an appetizer or desert during the same meal because I did not want to gain too much weight. The waiters were attentive and always at hand to pour more water, and if you needed assistance being seated or managing your food (cutting a steak for instance) they would assist you in that if you let them. This is an appreciated benefit for a person who has a disability that hinders the use of a hand.

On our sea day, there was a brunch in the Cosmopolitan Restaurant from 10: AM to 2:00 PM that was over the top in what was laid out for your dining pleasure.

There is an ice-cream station that has scooped dip creamy ice-cream in about eight flavors as well as soft ice-cream. It is served in either a dish or cones. I prefer a dish because I can then get the toppings like Hot Fudge, Reeces Pieces, M &M's or some of the others and they do not fall off

STATEROOMS: We had a Veranda Stateroom that is adequate in size and a shower that was quite roomy. Towels are changed daily unless you wish to participate in "Save The Waves" program by using them for two days like you would at home. If you leave them on the bathroom floor they are changed if you hang them up, they are left for you to use again. Water pressure was great and the hot water was available within two seconds.

Our stateroom that was always clean and straightened up. We always keep our shoes and clothes in the closet or drawers and our suitcases under the bed. I do have a battery charger on the desk along with my BioNess unit, stationary, pens, and "The Celebrity Today" but that is just normal stuff. The Room steward could be found somewhere in the hall or a stateroom running a vacuum or cleaning. He was very attentive and always greeted us upon meeting.

ENTERTAINMENT:
"Summit's g\Got Talent" was a show where the crew entertained us, and they all were very good. "Celebrity Showtime Hollywood" was an evening of spectacular music where we actually knew the words to and could sing with your neighbor sitting beside you.

The standup comedian Fred Klett started out very slowly.....About two seconds worth. From then on until the final curtain, I laughed so hard my sides were physically hurting. He is a family oriented comedian that one would not mind taking their Mother, Sister, Daughter, or Grandmother to see. It was truly a Hilarious show that everyone in the audience related to on many levels. His encore routine was also great as well as different material

Magnitude was the party band playing island music poolside as well as other locations around the ship.

Other musical performances were by: Antonio Salci along with the Celebrity Orchestra was a fantastic concert event. Lizl Strauss, Piano and vocalist. Salvador Hasard guitarist & vocalist, Mozaika Duo classical favorites, Melano Quartet & Latin rhythmus,

DRESS CODE:
The dress code was fairly well respected by everyone on the cruise. There were no blatant infractions that I observed. I realize that not everyone has Dinner Jackets or Tuxedos, but there were no jeans, shorts, or cutoffs evident on formal nights.

NO SPORTS BAR:
Note this ship does NOT have a sports bar with a big screen where you are able to watch football, soccer, baseball, or basketball just to name a few. However some passengers only turn on the TV in their staterooms to listen to some music or find out about shipboard or excursions. If they wanted to watch TV they might have stayed at home. If one was going through TV withdrawal, desperate, I am sure you could find something to watch.

As Celebrity Elite Captain's Club members we get 3 hours of internet time and I log on the day before departure to print our airline boarding passes. Nothing else. I probably use 7 minutes of internet time. Our Cell phone is off from the tine we leave the airport at home until we get back to the airport at home. Celebrity has a fantastic procedure for emergency contacting one of their passenger. If it is not an emergency, there is no need to call us. We are just fine, do not worry about us, we are in excellent hands. Monday night. The only other public TVs are 2 small TVs behind the small casino bar.

NEXT CRUISE:
On-board reservations were made for our next cruise with only $100 deposit per person which also included a four category upgrade (three upgrades is the maximum for our stateroom to put us at the top) and there is a $300 on-board purchase credit. Now the most difficult part starts; Waiting to go on the next Celebrity Cruise.

THINGS TO DO BUT DID NOT DO (just to name a few) the entire list would be seven times as long at least. (the cruise was 7 days) There are so many things to do on the ship, it is impossible to do all of them. The thing to do is read the "Celebrity Today" publication that you receive every evening in your stateroom and select the things for the next day that appeal to your interests and tastes. Some you will decide are not for you, and the rest will have to be selectively chosen so you can see and do as much as possible. You can also select a longer cruise and as soon as you can get away for it.

Here are just a few of the on board activities I missed.:
A taste of Celebrity World Wine Tour.
Modern Line Dancing.
Arts & Crafts with Judith Sandstrom
Island Celebration Party & Fruit Buffet.
Let's Dance: swing & foxtrot with the production cast dancers to learn how to dance swing & foxtrot with style.
Officers & guests Pool Volleyball games.
Fruit & vegetable carving Demonstration.
Newlywed, not so Newlywed Game
Movies in the Celebrity Cinema Center every day with 2 or 3 showings. (Did not see any of them)
Bingo.
Total Body Conditioning
Basketball Free Throw
Bean Bag Toss Tournament
Celebrity OlympiX: Golf Putting

Disembarkation was a breeze. We had to have Early Disembarkation because our 12:43PM flight home was canceled and we were put on a 9:40AM flight. No problem though. We did not get to enjoy the Elite Captain's Club Disembarkation Lounge in the Normandie Restaurant, because we had to disembarked at 7:30. I have a photo of our bags I give to the pier baggage handlers and they can spot them in a coupe of minutes. We zipped through customs, on to the waiting taxis where there was no line. In San Juan there is no need to try to share a taxi. The cost is $22.50 (plus tip) and you do not have to lift your bags in or out of the taxi and you are delivered right to the airline you are flying with. We arrived at the Airport at 8:00 which was plenty of time.

All in all, this was the most enjoyable cruise we have been on. Not only because Celebrity is the Premier cruise line, but the entire Ship's Staff are the best in the world. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit 7107

Stateroom 7107 is a Deluxe Veranda Stateroom that is conveniently located on the port side just forward of the midships elevator. We never heard anything from the passageway the entire cruise. The views were great in port. We never had a bad side of the ship.

Extremely efficient. The bags are taken off of the airline baggage carousel by baggage handlers (gratuity), placed in the taxi and you are taken to the cruise terminal (short duration ride $22.50 plus Gratuity) and the bags are taken by dock handlers (Gratuity) and brought to the ship and stateroom. I do not know if everyone tips the people who handle their bags, but I always have a gratuity for anyone assisting me. If I were in their position I would appreciate it.
Read 1378 San Juan Reviews