Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Cruise Review by D Trainor: New York to Southampton in Gale force 9!

D Trainor
0 Post

Compare Prices on Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Transatlantic Cruises

New York to Southampton in Gale force 9!

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

On reaching the port in Brooklyn our bags were taken from us and arrived before us in the cabin. Embarkment was smooth and easy. Our cabin was spacious and well equipped and the sheltered balcony meant that we were able to film the gale force 9 storm that the ship was trying to out-run - fantastic stuff! Never felt afraid once just enjoyed the whole experience.

The ship was just as described, elegant and first class. Staff were friendly, helpful and mostly cheerful (having witnessed first hand some of what they have to put up with from guests, this can be really difficult).

The food in the Britannia was excellent and always served with professionalism and a smile. The buffet option however was another matter. It was confusing finding all the options available and even harder then to find a table. The afternoon teas were better than at the Ritz in London!

Facilities were good and the talks by Murray Walker were great. The music and dancing in the Queens Room was More excellent, but the shows were not great and I have seen better.

The only real negative was the prices charged at the Canyon Reach Spa. My husband booked me a facial as a surprise and being a man didn't really check the price. The facial it's self was good but the hard selling afterwards spoilt it for me as did the price when I found out that we had been charged $389!! There were several other women who were also complaining. I also wasn't offered use of the day spa as I should have done.

To sum up, the cruise was fabulous and Cunard have it pitched just right for those who want a stylish elegant cruise.

Would I do it again - definately but without the facial!! Less

Read more Queen Mary 2 (QM2) cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Mary 2 (QM2) Premium Balcony - Sheltered Deck 5 5164

Sheltered balcony perfect for the October crossing. Balcony doors didn't shut properly and we had to put a wedge in to stop them vibrating, especially during the rough weather. Plenty of wardrobe space. Bathroom small but adequate. Bed comfortable.