Carnival Magic Cruise Review by dtravelinggirl: Wrong kind of Wow factor.

dtravelinggirl
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Carnival Magic Transatlantic Cruises

Wrong kind of Wow factor.

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Barcelona

I have always been a Carnival fan. Even my wedding was on Carnival, but this newest ship is headed the wrong direction. The 16 day transatlantic was the final leg of cruising completely around the world. When we arrived on board it was surprising how much damage there was for such a new ship. The lightweight aluminum cones in the elevators and halls were bent and damaged from the countless scooters and wheelchairs on board. What were they thinking when they put the Serenity area right next to the Water Works. I found nothing serene about hearing the screams all the way down the two slides.

I used to say that Carnival's food was better than Princess, but not on this voyage. Pasta and fish was undercooked, variety missing, but worst of all our waiter was so overworked that he didn't ever have the opportunity to check back to see if the food was OK. Once it was served, we didn't see him again until he brought dessert because he was so overwhelmed. Even the Maitre-d made More an announcement to everyone one night apologizing for the food and service.

The single biggest problem, I could identify is that it is too many people for the size of the ship or they have not yet figured out how to manage 4,000 pax like RCCL. There were always mobs waiting to get in for the shows. If you were not in a seat 45 minutes before a show, you were out of luck. The cruise director tried to compensate by not even promoting the final shows in hopes that enough would not see it in the "Fun Times" publication. Every day the "Top Ten" recommended things to do had at least five that required spending more money. I felt like I had paid for a 16 day commercial always being asked to spend more, spend more, spend more. Every time we ordered a drink and specifically asked for "House" liquor, they upgraded and charged extra. After confronting them, they would no longer come by and ask us if we wanted a drink. The other overall problem was noise pollution throughout the ship. Speakers were too loud, acoustics in the dining were so bad we could never hear the conversation at our 10 top. On a more positive note, I did find the cabin roomy and I'm glad they have returned to having dancing in the Atrium. Thanks also for placing the second area for entertainment not "in" the promenade walkway, but rather beside it. Overall, I would say that the Carnival Magic has cured me from wanting to go on Carnival again. Less

Read more Carnival Magic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Magic Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Magic Interior Upper

Cabin was spacious, but closet pole goes front to back??? Enjoyed having frig and hairdryer provided. Found requirement to put cabin key in slot for lights annoying.