Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by grantfam4: Fantastic 7 days aboard the Largest Cruise Ship in the World

grantfam4
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Fantastic 7 days aboard the Largest Cruise Ship in the World

Sail Date: November 2011

I have nothing but praise for Royal Caribbean's Oasis of the Seas! We just returned from a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on what is currently the World's largest cruise ship. She really is an amazing vessel and a great place to spend seven fun filled and relaxing days.

We sailed from Ft Lauderdale on 11/5/2011 heading for Nassau, Bahamas. The wind and seas were strong. Even several of the crew were commenting on how rough it was. However, this amazing ship handled the 20 foot seas well.

The first thing that strikes me as I have boarded any ship is the size of these floating resorts. The Oasis dwarfs all the others. Honestly, when we first booked, I was a little concerned that she may be too big with too many people (up to 6500). There were 6,000+ on our sailing. However, other than some congestion in the Windjammer at lunch time, with several dining choices and so many things to do, it was not bad.

I was also very impressed with the Fitness Center on More Deck 6 and Jogging Track on Deck 5. My wife and I were able to work out every morning and I was able to get in a 3-4 mile run without any problems each day. I also appreciate the healthier food choices in both the Spa Area and Solarium Bistro, which we did take advantage of for breakfast and lunch. This way we could really enjoy the dining room food, service, and wonderful desserts each evening!

We also thought the entertainment was excellent! I was very impressed by the skill and athleticism of the cast of the Oasis of Dreams show in the Aqua Theatre! We even enjoyed and thought the Dreamworks Parade on the Promenade was very well done. We really enjoyed the Spanish Guitarist, the Piano and Violin Duo, and the Dance Band in Dazzles.

As empty nesters, my wife and I had a great time, mostly relaxing on the Solarium deck. However, I would would not hesitate to bring the entire family aboard as this ship really has something for everyone! Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 12 9322

Great quiet location on the aft port side of deck 9. A nice balcony with two chairs and a table where we could enjoy coffee in the morning. Due to the size of the Oasis of the Seas, it was a bit of a walk from our cabin, which was 4th from the end to the lobby stairs or elevator. This was not an issue for us and we enjoyed being a little further from the main lobby areas. However, for someone who has trouble walking, you may want a room closer to the lobbies either forward or aft.

We have been to Nassau several times and to be totally honest, it is probably one of my least favorite ports. We did the Seahorse Sailing and Snorkeling (NSE6) Catamaran excursion and had a great time! After the 3.5 hour trip, there was plenty of time to do some shopping in town, which the two other couples we were traveling with took advantage of. For the one couple, this was their first cruise and first time to Nassau. They had a great time. My wife and I returned to the ship after the excursion. We had some lunch, then relaxed in the Solarium and enjoyed the sun shine!
Read 2646 Nassau Reviews

In St. Martin, we decided to bypass the ship excursions and took a Taxi to Dawn Beach. There were plenty of taxis(Vans) and we were able to share the ride both to Dawn Beach and back with other couples. The cost was a nominal $7 per person each way. They dropped us off and picked up at at Mr. Busby's, a very cool beach bar and grill, where you can rent two chairs and an umbrella for $10. They also rent snorkel gear and other beach toys, have a great lunch menu and $1 Amstel Bright Beer. Ya gotta love $1 Beer! The day we were there they also had grilled lobster which was tempting. Once again, on the way back to the ship/dock, you could be dropped off in town on Front Street to do some shopping. Both of the other couples we shared the taxi with took advantage of that. My wife and I went back to the dock where there was enough shopping to meet our needs. We did pick up some chocolates at one of the stands and made the mistake of opening the package and eating as few. The security people would not let us bring the open package back aboard. So we stood there eating chocolates and offering them to the other returning passengers. So, note to self, wait until you get back on-board before opening anything!