Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by mrandmrsmevy

Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: MA
See More About: Norwegian Jade Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Good but not great
Boarding the ship was the best and most organized I have had. When we got onto the ship we found our cabin to be larger that expected and we were very pleased.

At the lifeboat drill I was quite disturbed when I saw a passenger carrying a small dog. I was actually shocked. I was unaware that Norwegian or any other cruise line for that matter, had started allowing pets on board. From talking to other passengers I think there were at least 3 dogs on the ship. I am very allergic to dogs and was glad that the only time I saw the dog was at the lifeboat drill. Where did it go to the bathroom? Even after a thorough cleaning, if there had been a dog in my cabin prior to this sailing I would have known it in a second and that would have made my cruise more than miserable.

The Stardust theater entertainment and the band Ocean Vibe were very good. The rest of on board activities were, well just let me say lame for the most part. The "Dancing with the Jade Stars" and Karaoke contest male host was, for lack of a better description, kind of creepy. The activities themselves could have been done much, much better. There didn't seem to be any activities by the pool area that I can remember other than Ocean Vibe, which as I mentioned before were very good.

I feel that there should be a place for adults to go without having to worry about kids after a certain hour. The Spinnaker Lounge should be like this but is not. There were children there until all hours of the night and I did not feel as though this is an appropriate place for kids under 18 at minimum after 9 or 10PM. Late at night, some of the crew freely mingled with the passengers in this lounge as well which I felt was odd.

As far as communication, I found out after having my laundry done paying $93.00 that if you fill the bag, the crew will do your laundry for $25.00. This should be told to passengers clearly in the beginning, not 3 days out. I found out that I needed funds, where you can only get American funds from the ATM, on a morning in port when I found out to get the money I had to get it from the casino cashier. The casino was closed so I was unable to get the funds I needed. Fortunately I had enough on my credit card to get Euros from the front desk on my ship account. I never did get the funds from the casino and am disputing the transaction currently with my credit card company.

The food on the ship was excellent. I had no problems with the waiter/waitress staff and enjoyed the freestyle dinner idea. We did not use any of the "pay for" places as we were very happy with the food we had. The hamburgers were the best on any ship I have been on to this point. I was a little disappointed that there was not a "midnight buffet" during the entire cruise. This has always been one of the things I look forward to.

The cleanliness of the ship was excellent. There were people all over spraying sanitizer on passengers hands before entering any of the places where food was served. Thank you for that as I did see some ill passengers and we did not get sick.

Thank you Rodney for the most excellent beer tasting activity. You are knowledgeable and picked out some very good beers, we had a blast.

We did not use Norwegian for any of the port of call tours as they were just too expensive. I booked tours with outside companies prior and got 3 times the activities without been rushed or "herded" at a fraction of the cost. I still got back to the ship in plenty of time with every activity I did.

Overall the cruise was a good value and the ports of call were amazing, we even got to see Stromboli erupting as we passed by. What a sight. I do not however feel as though I would use Norwegian Cruise line again. I have not used Norwegian since the mid 90's when I went on 2 cruises and found that they were much better than this cruise.

Publication Date: 11/15/11