Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Queen Mimi

Cruise Date: November 2011
        7-9 4.0
Value-for-Money 5+

Glory, Glory Hallelujah!
We joined my daughter and her family on this cruise. After we had booked our ocean view cabin, the balcony prices went down. I called our personal planner at Carnival and he was able to get us a balcony room near my daughter for just $100 more. First time on a balcony but it won't be my last!!

Embarkation was crowded! The line for those who had completed their funpass and printed them out on line was slightly longer but moved much quicker than the other line. After checking in and getting our key proceeded to the ship to wait in another line on the deck to get our id picture taken. Waited awhile to meet up with our daughter and her family. By then, rooms were ready. Went upstairs to the lido deck for lunch. Chaos!! Too many people trying to get food all at the same time. Did manage to get a bite and find a place to sit. This and the elegant night were the only times that we had any difficulty with slow service or finding table. On elegant night, dinner took two hours and twenty minutes. I think that, again, they were completely overwhelmed with the number of people eating. It was not just our table, the two tables next to us took just as long.

While we are talking about meals, let's talk about the food. There were pros and cons. First, the quality of desserts (my most important food group) in the Lido deck has definitely improved. However, the food in the dining room was not quite as good as on past carnival cruises. There is always flank steak available, but it was rather tough. There were no other steaks offered on the cruise. I had one lunch in the dining room that was awful. It was a pasta with tomato sauce, called Hay and Straw. Two bites was all. The dessert I ordered, some type of apple cake, was dry and tasteless. It only got one bite. I happened to go up to the Lido deck after lunch for some other reason and walked into the serving area. They were serving the chocolate bar for dessert. What's a person to do?? I had to try some of the offerings, which were delicious!! But, those were only small glitches in the dining room. The mashed potatoes were fantastic, soups were delicious. My husband certainly enjoyed all his lobster tails! Besides, when you have melting chocolate cake what else do you need?

Our room looked the same as all the other rooms we have had on carnival ships. (Except that this one had a balcony!). Our room steward, Juan, kept it spotless. When we left for breakfast, our room was cleaned before we got back. It was obvious he was around, but completely unobtrusive.

Josh is the cruise director. He was great. Unlike some directors, he was not constantly annoying you with making lots of announcement. He did make the announcements that were necessary. During the shows, he was quick and funny. My husband and I were picked for the couples show for the "senior" couple. It was definitely fun. He made you feel as if you were his friend, not just part of his job.

The ship was spotless. Kudos to the staff for keeping everything so clean. The decor, other than the Amber Theater, is toned down compared to the over the top decor of many other Carnival ships. It was really quite nice. We had one server who really was not in to his job. Other than that, all the staff on the ship were really great. They did their jobs well and were pleasant to the passengers.

The first show, "America", started out well but got bogged down in the middle. It went way too long. "Rock On" was better.

Our granddaughters who are eight went to Club Carnival on and off during the day. They enjoyed the experience, often asking to stay longer when we picked them up.

The casino was rather small but never too crowded. They really need to update their slot machines to get more of the newer high tech type machines that are available on other cruise lines.

Disembarking was efficient and quick. From the time we got in line to disembark, got off the ship, caught a cab, got to the airport through security and to our airline gate was an hour and a half!

We truly enjoyed the Glory and would definitely recommend it to anybody.

Publication Date: 11/13/11