Rotterdam Cruise Review by ingreece: Delicious bites and fabulous sites!

ingreece
Member Since 2010

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Rotterdam Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Delicious bites and fabulous sites!

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

My expectations were exceeded on this cruise. The Rotterdam staff and crew deserve a big round of applause. To me the food on this ship was the best I have ever had. I also really enjoyed my fellow cruisers-although we were younger than most- they were very polite people overall. The ship was very clean and our Veranda Suite was fabulous and in a perfect location. This ship doesn't have everything the big ships have but it had everything we needed and we didn't have to walk a mile to get to the dining room. Our seven year-old son was well cared for by two wonderful ladies in Club Hal. Included in our fare was port and sea day childcare. Last HAL cruise didn't include all of the port day hours. Thank you HAL!

There are just so many things that Holland America gets right. The many small touches throughout the cruise made us feel special. I've decided that HAL is my preferred cruise line now. Elegant, fabulous food, classy passengers, professional staff, nice shows, More classical music at dinner and I could go on and on.

The itinerary was unique and the reason that we booked this cruise. We sailed in and out of Athens, Greece (where we currently live) and up the Adriatic Sea to the most beautiful city in the world overnight (Venice) and then back to the Aegean for a few Greek islands. The ports were Corfu, Dubrovnik, Split, Venice, Ravenna, Kotor, Crete and Mykonos.

In four of the ports we had stormy weather but what is so wonderful about cruising is that in the evening you can take a hot bath or shower and enjoy a fabulous meal and entertainment which washes away the storms.

The new ports for our family were Ravenna and Kotor. If you haven't been to Kotor by ship you're in for a surprise because you will sail through fjords (my first time)! Ravenna was interesting but very cold. Went on a private tour with cruise critic friends. Got soaking wet waiting for bus back to port.
Great job HAL! Rotterdam was a dream. Hope to sail her again. Less

Read more Rotterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rotterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Rotterdam Verandah Suite Verandah 6225

Very good location, big balcony, quite. Perfect.

I visited the Achillion Palace with friends from Cruise Critic via private driver. Got very wet in downpour. Took a driving tour of a few highlights. Corfu is a beautiful, green island worth seeing.
Read 272 Corfu Reviews

One of the finest ports in the Med. We walked the old city walls with friends and explored a few of the museums. Lovely! Took a cab for 10 Euros from the port. Rode the bus back. You will need Kuna in Croatia.

Sailed through the fjords with thunder and lightening show. Waited for storm to mostly pass before tendering into Kotor. Walked through the old town, visited a museum and tasted a little food. Beautiful!
Read 133 Kotor Reviews

This windswept island delights the senses. Our son was thrilled to meet the famous Pelicans on the islands. Lots of wind but enjoyed walking around. Took ship's shuttle to town.
Read 381 Mykonos Reviews

Third time to Split. Walked to the Archaeological Museum and loved it. Definitely worth seeing. Bought lots of lavender oil. Great city.
Read 142 Split Reviews

The Queen of the Med! There is nothing like this city that rises out of the water. Just walked the canals, ate and then at night went to an Opera performed by candlelight in a mansion with CC friends. Beautiful! Next day went to to Verona with HAL excursion. Too bad it rained and we didn't have enough time there. But, would love to return.
Read 516 Venice Reviews