Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Lin 777

Entertainment 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Fun week on the Spirit
We drove to the port without too much problem. An exact address for Ms. Garmin would be nice. The price for parking has gone up since we last sailed from New Orleans...too much for what you get. Boarding the ship was easy. We dropped off our carry on luggage in the stateroom which was ready for occupancy already at noon!

The room was nice with a lovely island mural where the window would be.

If you like quiet and darkness, "inside", is the room for you. The bed was fine for me but too hard for the wife.

The room steward, Charlie, was great. We got the best hanging monkey towel animal ever.

The food in Windows was excellent. We ate there almost every night. I especially liked not having to wear a monkey suit to eat lobster.

The waiters were patient and helpful in making food recommendations.

Breakfasts at the buffet were wonderful and I didn't have to fix them. The

bacon is too greasy for my taste.

The food at the lunch and dinner buffet was seldom very hot. Warmer than room temperature, but not much warmer. That is one reason we chose to eat at Windows.

The Spirit is a beautiful ship. I like the artwork everywhere. If you look hard enough you can find imperfections, you will probably find a speck of rust here and there, but why look.

We enjoyed the evening entertainment almost every night. The ballet trained acrobats were the best!

At Costa Maya we took a cab to Maharal which is about 2 miles and $4.00 away from the dock. We had a few beers and lunch on the beach. I bought a toy top from a beach vendor and a necklace. We stayed until a local brought his donkey on the beach and it pooped right next to our table. He kicked some sand over it but that did not control the odor. We took a cab back to the dock area and did some shopping. I hope no barefooted person discovered that poop the hard way:)

We have been to Belize before and this time we decided to just take a walking tour downtown. There is a park there where the local women sell food. I ate the most delicious tamale ever there. We also ate 4 soft tacos for $1.00. The tacos were small but very good. The meat may have been chicken or iguana. No, we didn't get get sick. I travel with a good supply of imodium just in case. There is a very interesting local supermarket near the park and lots of fun places to shop. Everything is much less expensive in Belize than in Costa Maya and Cozumel. The cab drivers can be real pests, but just politely say no thank you. That seems to work. On the walk back to the ship there were some

"masseuses" offering foot massages for #5.00. They can be pests too.

At Roatan we hired a cab driver for an island tour that would include the West End which we had missed on a previous visit. Our young (24 year old) driver lectured us on how hard it is to make a living in Roatan and mentioned that he sometimes goes a couple of days without eating. He then recommended a restaurant for lunch. I naturally bought him lunch....and a beer. He and I had the iguana which was $13.00. The wife had the shrimp. The iguana was nicely flavored and was quite good. It came shredded in a sauce with plantain and beans and rice for sides. On the street just to the right of the dock the local people have put up stands and are selling handicrafts etc. This is a good place to spend your money as the prices are cheap, the crafts are real, and the local people need the money more than you and me. If you walk far enough you will find a craftsman making cameos out of conch shells. This guy is a true artist. Yes, you will have to brave the pesky cab drivers. Be polite.

Cozumel can be a bit overwhelming. The port stores are too hectic for me. The wife and I walked to the right about a block to a local store called, Mega.

Good luck finding your way out of the port shopping area. Mega is like a giant Mexican Walmart superstore. Mega is clean, well lighted and seems to be selling goods that are for the most part made in Mexico. The fruit and vegetable area is huge and immaculate. The bakery area smells so good that we had to buy a small loaf of fresh bread. It cost about .12 cents. The meat and seafood area is huge. We bought some shrimp ceviche and some cheese to go with the bread and had a picnic lunch for less than $5.00. The wife had bought some spices to bring the price up that high. I wish we had an Mega in our town. No, I don't own stock in the company but it would be a good idea.

At the end of the cruise we just grabbed our bags and walked off the ship. The immigration people were friendly and fast. This was our fastest disembarkation ever.

It was a great trip and at a great price. I'll give it a 9.5 out of 10.

Publication Date: 11/12/11