Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by Backpackerii2: The NCL Jewel is a Jewel

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jewel Bahamas Cruises

The NCL Jewel is a Jewel

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This is my personal experience on the Norwegian Jewel, others may have a different view but this is mine. We booked a back to back cruise, 7 days on the Norwegian Jewel, spend a night in New York and then board the Norwegian Gem for another 7 days. We are hooked on cruising. My wife and I booked these cruises back in May 2011. We enjoy cruises that are longer than 7 days. By booking a back to back it fits our needs.
Day one -â€" We drove from Delaware to the port in Manhattan, it took approximately 3 hours. We decided to park in the ports parking area. The procedure was quick and easy. Boarding the Jewel was also quick and easy, we knew what to expect since we have been on more than 25 cruises over the past 15 years.
We have cruised on Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Celebrity and Norwegian Cruise Line. Our preference is Norwegian due to the "Freestyle" and the affordability. Both make the cruise very relaxing and enjoyable.
Our cabin number was 11654 on deck 11 More aft. We enjoy the aft cabins and try to book one whenever possible. The cabin was large due to it being handicap accessible. It was kind of plain; one picture on the wall, and the layout of the furniture was somewhat strange. It contained all the necessary items.
Our room steward Steven was very accommodating and professional, always a smile and willing to please. He did an excellent job. The room needed a comfortable chair for my wife and when I mentioned it to Steven he informed his supervisor ( Hopdun Smith) who addressed my request immediately. Absolute excellent service from Steven and Mr. Smith.
On the first night I had to speak with the hotel director, Mr. Hugo Vanosmael, what an outstanding person. I explained "my" problem and he resolved it very quickly. I was extremely impressed with the staff on the Jewel. They are truly professional and extremely good at what they do.
The treatment on Norwegian ships has always been outstanding. The next morning Concierge Ryan Rabe approached my wife and I, offered any assistance we may need. I cannot say enough about the outstanding staff on the jewel.
Day 2 -â€" Sea day, raining, seas with white caps but smooth ride. Sun finally showed in the afternoon. Just relaxed and enjoyed the service.
Day 3 -â€" We arrived in Port Canaveral, Florida. Since we go mainly for the cruise and not the ports we decided to stay close to the ship. We did take a $5 cab ride to the local mall just to see what was there.
Day 4 -â€"It was scheduled to be a day of fun, sun, picnic on the private island Great Stirrup Cay in the Bahamas.....didn't succeed....The waves and winds were too strong for tender service so the Captain having our safety as his priority determined to press on to Bahamas. This was disappointing but not the end of the world. "Safety First".
Day 5 -â€" Nassau, Bahamas -â€" a great day at Paradise Island enjoying the sites and the people. We went to the Big Dig and the Aquarium at Atlantis. We took the boat taxi to and from, $4 each way. A cab ride is $5 and probably quicker. The evening was special as we were invited to eat dinner with the hotel director and 3 other couples, good conversation, good food and a great time.
Day 6 -â€" Sea Day -â€" A relaxing day. NCL has a great "Freestyle" program, beautiful ship, plenty to do, good food and a great staff. We really enjoyed the excellent performance of the "Le Cirque Bijou". Do not miss this show and the after show from the crew...very, very enjoyable. We also enjoyed the entertainment provided by "Crazeehorse". NCL has great entertainment throughout the ship.
Day 7 -â€" Sea Day -â€" TOTAL RELAXATION!
Day 8 -â€" We were provided VIP disembarkation, we walked off after breakfast, headed to our hotel to return Sunday to board the Norwegian Gem....we had a Great vacation on the Norwegian Jewel. Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel 11654

Cabin 11654 is large for a handicap cabin, nice size bathroom, comfortable bed if you are not over 6 ft tall, lacks decorations such as pictures, wood grain walls and a comfortable sitting area or chair.