Rhapsody of the Seas Cruise Review by wallywhitlock99: A short stay on Rhapsody of the Seas

wallywhitlock99
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Rhapsody of the Seas Australia & New Zealand Cruises

A short stay on Rhapsody of the Seas

Sail Date: November 2011
Destination: Australia & New Zealand
Embarkation: Sydney (Australia)

It was my pleasure to take my daughter on a small 3 day cruise on Rhapsody of the Seas on November 3rd 2011, leaving from Sydney.

May I say first off the check in process was quick and easy and boarding the ship was fast..

I had studied the ship layout, so knew roughly where our cabin was, but other passengers I spoke to said there was nobody around to guide you to your cabin once on board.
Our cabin was nice, and smelt clean.
My only one complaint with the cabin was the bed, as they are normally a double bed, once separated tend to lean into the middle, and I felt I was struggling not to fall onto the floor with the lean of the mattress. Both my daughter and myself found the bed to be hard and uncomfortable.
No fridge in the room was another let down, there was cans of Coke and water on the dressing table, but with no fridge or ice, who would want hot drinks. !!
Every day we would vacate our room about 8.00am and leave the notice on the door for the More cabin to be made up, often returning at 11.00am to find the room still untouched.
I was also disappointed there was no chocolate on the pillow or bed turned down, as is customery on other ships.
The shops on board were good, but obviously did not expect people to buy alcohol, and so had to close the shop just after lunch on the first day to restock,the following day there were cues of people waiting and once again they ran out and closed, this also happened on the last day, but they stayed open with not much stock.
I did feel sorry for people just wanting normal deli type stuff, chips, aspro, toothpaste etc. as this was in the bottle shop, and once the shop closed you could not buy any. The shop was closed more than it was open.
Food on board was average, started off good on the first day, and just declined after that. We found the drink waiter at our table did not want to come to our table if we did not buy bottles of wine or lots of drinks. So he missed out.
The coffee in the coffee shop was fantastic, but the cue to line up and buy it was not so good, often only one person was serving and making coffee.
Bingo was a joke, they only sold tickets about 1hr before the Bingo, and the cue for that went 1/2 way down the ship, at $22.00 for the cheapest ticket, and once you brought that the lounge was full, and seating hard to find.
We found the shows on board Poor, and put it down to only 3 days cruising, but if it is normally like that, shame on you Rhapsody,, P&O put on fantastic shows for their 3 day sampler cruise.
We found there could of been more organized things for people to do,ie. wine tasting, etc. We did go to the Martini making class, and thoroughly enjoyed that. Also the towel folding class was good, my daughter is busy making them at home for her children now.
Overall we did enjoy ourselves, the cocktails on board were great, and bar staff helpful.
Anna the cruise director was very nice, and funny, and Captain Stein was often seen about with his family, which was a nice touch.
Out of 10 I would give it a 7, nice ship but not as fun as P&O. Less

Read more Rhapsody of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Rhapsody of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Rhapsody of the Seas Large Interior Stateroom Deck 2 4461

Cabin 4461 Hidden away in a small corridor. Mostly quiet except when the people next door came home after 2am. Beds were hard, and seemed to lean in to the middle, I thought I would roll out most nights. The cabin steward was not seen around much, and the cabin was not made up early, we would quite often return about 11.30am and find the "please make up room" card in the door and the room still unmade. Nice and close to the Champagne Bar, and most other things.