Eurodam Cruise Review by dvg1027

Dining 5+
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Eurodam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Eurodam Deck Plans
Fantastic cruise!!!
My husband and I went on this cruise (56 and 69 yrs old) with my parents (90 and 91 yrs old). Between the four of us we have been on 12 cruises and counting this one 6 cruise lines. This was our first on HAL.

We drove from my parents condo in Fl to the port. DH dropped us off by the luggage drop off and parked the car in the parking garage. From the time we walked into the terminal to when we got in our suites it was less than a 1/2 hour.

The suite was beautiful. We had 7049 and my parents were two suites away in 7053. There was fresh fruit and flowers, bottled water and champagne waiting for us. Nice touch was the personalized stationary with our names and suite numbers on them. The bed was a king but it looked so much bigger than that. It was also one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in. My parents and husband agreed. Plenty of closet space. In fact even with the way too many clothes I brought with us we still had empty closets and drawers. Empty luggage fit nicely under our beds. Veranda had a table that could fit four plus a two nice wicker chairs to relax in plus ottoman's to put your legs up on. Room also included a mini-refrigerator w/ minibar but there was room for us to put in our own beverages.

Bathroom was nice size with a bath with shower plus a shower stall and two sinks. There was a small sitting area right outside of it that you could sit and do your hair or apply makeup.

We were right across from the Neptune Lounge which is available for anyone with a SA,SB, SC or Penthouse suite. It was great. There were drinks,(non-alcoholic) and food available all the time. The daily newspaper to find out what was going on in the outside world was always available which was great since if you wanted to read it with your coffee you didn't have to go up to the Exploration Cafe to get it. There is also a concierge, ususally 2 there. That was a big help. When the Neptune Lounge was closed, late at night you still had 24 hour concierge service available by phone. Also, the suite welcome cocktail party was there with the ships officers. We did not go there to sit during the day as we prefer to sit on the verandah but many times I saw passengers sitting there when I went in for something to drink. It was a comfortable room.

The other thing that was great was free laundry/dry cleaning and pressing service for suite passengers. They give you a bag with a form. Put your clothes in the bag with the completed form and call the concierge by 9 AM for pickup and it is back in your room by the following morning.

Food was anywheres from very good to excellent.

We went to the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast most mornings-another suite perk. Everything was very good. I particularly liked the Eggs Benedict Royale-Eggs Benedict with salmon. I couldn't get enough of the fresh orange juice.

For dinner we had seating at 8 PM in the upper Rembrandt dining room. We had a nice table for 4 by the window. The best night to us was the farewell night on Thursday. 3 of us had surf and turf, the filet mignon was cooked exactly as we ordered it and the lobster was cooked to perfection. My dad had osso buco and he said it was not as good as the one he makes, LOL, but still very good. I can't remember the name of the dessert I had. I think it was a Scandinavian name. But it looked like a small purse tied at the top and it looked to be phyllo dough. When you broke into it this thick dark chocolate oozed from it. Oh my God, it was the best and dark chocolate isn't my favorite but it was my favorite thing to eat on the cruise. But everything I had for dinner was good. If you are a vegetarian which I am not they have some great selections. I had a few and absolutely no complaints and very filling.

My favorite place on the cruise...RETREAT CABANA. If you are going on a Caribbean cruise, don't walk but run to your phone and see if you can book one. My Mom and I decided to book them about 2 months before we left and we got two of the last ones. The family suites which are bigger and can hold 4 people were already booked. Even after that we were debating whether we should cancel. So glad we didn't. Sonny and Gilbert were the "cabana boys" and they couldn't do enough for us. You could order alcoholic drinks from them but there is a charge. The rest that I am about to mention is no charge. Mimosas in the morning along with a beautiful platter of fruit for each cabana, then fruit kabobs. My food review above didn't mention lunch because we had most of our lunches at the cabana. They bring you menus and you give them the order and they bring it to you. Your cabana has a table for 4 and two lounge chairs with pillows. Two big bottles of water in ice buckets and they also give you a spray mister to spray yourself if it gets too hot. Also, outside your cabana are more chairs and lounge chairs if you want to get the sun. In the afternoon you get served champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. One day my parents went back to their suite early and Sonny gave me a plate to bring back down with me for them. My Dad told them that Friday was my birthday. They gave us a bottle of champagne, sang Happy Birthday to me, brought me a cake, gave me a small battery operated fan to use when I get hot and then saw my Mom using it and gave her one. I can't say enough about how great having the cabana was. If you are hesitating because of the cost, trust me it is well worth it.

The entertainment on the Eurodam was great. We went to every single show after dinner and were always pleasantly entertained. My Mom and I also played Bingo and won a whooping $37.00 but at least it covered the cost of the Bingo cards. Casino was also very nice, especially when my Mom and I won $1,200 on the last night of the cruise 10 minutes before they were closing.

My Mom and I both went to the spa for what they called top to toe. It was 75 minutes and included a full body massage, mini facial and while the facial mask was on they give you a head and scalp massage. It was a special for $135 without tip. Normally, I believe it was $265.00. They ran specials like that every day. This special was on a Tuesday. We were going for a massage on Friday. When I spoke with the receptionist she offered to extend the special to us for Friday. Staff was very accommodating. Like on most cruises they do try to sell you products but it is very low pressure. Once you say no they don't ask again. We were both very happy with the massages and facial.

The service throughout the ship was the best I have ever experienced. None of us had a single complaint. The staff bent over backwards. Once they found out your name you never had to repeat it again. They always remembered. I never had to ask a single thing from the room stewards. They both did a wonderful job. I can't say enough about the service we received

Disembarkation went as easily as embarkation. We were able to leave anytime between 8 and 10 AM. In other cruises I have sometime found breakfast on the day of disembarkation to not be up to snuff as during the cruise. Not so with Eurodam. We went to the Rembrandt dining room for breakfast and everything was excellent except for the depressing feeling I had that it was our last meal.

So as you can tell, I have now become a HAL fan. I had decided on HAL because I heard it was better for seniors, but with 35 years difference between the oldest and the youngest I was afraid it might be too sedate. It wasn't at all. We talked to many passengers much younger then us, 30's early 40's and they said that they really enjoyed the Eurodam too. Hope this review helps everyone.

Publication Date: 11/10/11