Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by family cruisers

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by family cruisers
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Gem
Member Name: family cruisers
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: MB
See More About: Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Ship Facts: Norwegian Gem Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Gem Deck Plans
Gem to Bermuda Oct 30th . First mini suite
We just got back from Bermuda on NCL"S Gem this morning . We cruise to Bermuda every fall , our favorite island of them all.

This was our 4th on NCL . First two were on the Crown , third on the Dawn and this was our first time on the Gem.

Overall we really had a great time. Embarkation in NYC was a breeze. Ship was delayed in it's return but it didn't affect our sailaway at all.

We were very pleased with our mini suite on deck 11. Cabin 11112 was awesome. This deck is all mini suites. Above us was the tail end of the garden cafe. We never knew anything was above us it was so quiet.

The cabin IS bigger then normal balcony cabins and the balcony definetly deeper . We had 2 chairs and a recliner plus a small table. We enjoyed our room service coffee and juice out there each morning.

The mini suite also had a full bath . While I enjoyed it I have to say if you have any mobility issues the tub is high. My DH threw his back out friday morning and he was nervous getting into to shower this morning.

The toilet didn't work a few times and we had to call for that.

Something was also leaking by the tub and toilet daily , we got tired of calling and wiped it up ourselves.

The phone needed a new cord as you couldn't hear who was on the other end but they fixed that right away.

They changed our pillows as the ones on the bed were not comfortable.

If you ask nicely you get anything with a smile.

No need to be rude to anyone. These people work 7 days a week with a break during their days. God bless them all . I have a strong work ethic but couldn't do what they do. I admire them all.

Cabin had plenty of closet space and loads of drawers.

We had a flat screen tv in our room and friends we met on board ( who won the free cruise last day at bingo) had a balcony cabin on deck 8 and had a small older model tv. TV channels are horrible. We had Fox news, msnbc, espn and the cruise ship channels.

We didn't do alot of the shows but our favorite was definetly Man from mars. AWESOME for everyone.

Food is always subjective so let me start off by saying we didn't starve .

Food was plentiful.

In the past we loved the specialty restaurants on the Dawn (we didn't like their MDR"S) .

We'll we were disappointed with LeBistro and La Cucinas.

My escargot in Le Bistro had too much of what tasted like oregeno in them. I couldn't eat them and I was so looking forward to it.

I ordered the Filet Mignon and paid the add'l $10.00 for the lobster tail. While the beef was like butter the lobster sure wasn't. It's scooped out of the shell like cauliflower and cooked in butter and returned to the shell. Doesn't look good and it was over cooked.

La Cucina on the Dawn was fantastic, not on the Gem. It was good but not great.

The buffets were good but I found alot of repeat foods that I got bored with. I did have their Roast turkey last night and it was GREAT !

Caeser salads at the garden buffet were the best. Some days they had fresh pulled chicken to add to it.

Blue lagoon was much better on the Dawn as well.

I was so looking forward to the tomato soup and on the Gem it tasted like tomato paste.

Buffalo wings were still good though and that Cheesecake YUMMY.

Chocolate buffet was good too. Some things were good , some great.

We found service to be a bit slow in specialty restaurants BUT the service was very good.

Service throughout the ship was excellent! They couldn't do enough to please you.

We are not breakfast eaters BUT on our days in Bermuda we both enjoyed fresh omelets from the Great outdoors. This place is never crowded so don't wait in line at the buffet .

I loved my eggwhite omelets w/ fresh spinach, bacon and cheese while DH enjoyed a regular omelet filled with everything.Only real disappointment was food at the buffet was not always hot.

Great outdoors also has burgers etc... in the afternoons . It's a pretty peaceful place to enjoy the views. Theres also a bar with tv in center.

Bermuda is Bermuda . Peaceful and beautiful ~ Island and their people.

Horseshoe bay beach is still our favorite but I will say I was pleasantly surprised by all the new additions to snorkel park by the dockyards. We went into hamilton friday morning for our shopping and spent the rest of the day at snorkel park. They've spruced it up alot and I now am a fan

We spent wednesday walking around the dockyards and spent the afternoon at their museum which we've never toured. Looks are deceiving. GREAT place to visit. They also have the dolphin discovery there.

Our Cruise director Johnny Cash Sanchez was really a great guy, lots of fun and just so down to earth.

We chatted with him several times throughout the cruise and really enjoyed time spent with him.

We had a bit of a problem getting DH off the ship this morning as the back was really acting up. They went above and beyond to make him comfortable while exiting the ship, brought us hot chocolate etc.

Again, service was outstanding. Had some final farewell pictures taken with him and also the captain before leaving.

I will tell a funny story that I shared at our cruise critic meeting only with Johnny Cash Sanchez as I didn't want to freak out the other cruises.

One night we walked around deck 7 (only deck you can fully walk around the ship) and DH was enjoying his cigar. I was getting quite chilly and decided to use our tub and take a hot bath. When I got out of the tub I heard noises coming from our balcony so I assumed it was DH trying to scare me. Thank God I didn't just open the balcony door as I normally would have but I pulled back the curtain , threw on the balcony light and IGOR was on my balcony. The bird looked like a hawk ! Not a parakeet a HAWK !

I knew DH would think I was drinking if I didn't catch it on pictures but luckily for me he walked in as I was sitting on the couch talking to this bird with claws I've never seen up close before. His eyes were wide looking at what I was staring at.

I have some great shots I shared with the cruise director and even he was shocked. I have to post them on his Facebook (his request).

When I scared the bird he scared me back with the size of his wingspan.

We usually always sleep with the balcony door opened. Not this trip.

Imagine waking up with Igor in the middle ! Johnny Cash Sanzhez called the head of housekeeping to come clean up Igors mess ! Not pretty .

FYI.... Tips / Gratuities are now taken from any OBC"S .

We had almost $400.00 in OBC"S and the $12.00 per person / per day are deducted each day from your total OBC.

We got a print out each day to play it safe and on day one onboard we asked at guest services and they explained it to us.

IN the past you couldn't use it for that. Now anything you give your key card to comes off your credits daily.

Also , latitudes members automatically gets 10% off on your ships shopping which was a nice touch.

We're home, pictures (over 300 and we go each year ! ) downloaded already , all unpacked and now I'm hungry again

I did forget to mention our sailing on the way home from bermuda was a bit rocky. A full day of 21.3 ft. seas (as it said on our tv ) and 58 mile an hour winds. I even captured all that on the camera (from the tv)

If I think of anything else I'll add to this.

Any questions ... feel free ..

Carrie

Outstanding service on the Gem from top to bottom Thanks NCL

Publication Date: 11/09/11
Read the Bermuda ports review by family cruisers
More Norwegian Gem Cruise Reviews