Queen Victoria Cruise Review by Blue Butterfly: Queen Victoria - Greek Isles and Ancient Wonders II

Blue Butterfly
Member Since 2011

Compare Prices on Queen Victoria Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Queen Victoria - Greek Isles and Ancient Wonders II

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

We sailed on Queen Victoria from Rome on 15 October, heading to a number of places on my all time wish list. I finished work a few months ago and this was my retirement cruise.

We were on a Cunard charter flight from Heathrow which was delayed for about an hour - and had us all wondering if those stories you hear about them a)sailing without us or b) holding the ship for a planeful were true. It was dark by the time we got to the ship, and we had missed the drill, which we had to do the following day, but the luggage had arrived in the cabin by the time we got back from dinner, much to our relief.

Our balcony cabin on Deck 6 was perfectly fine for our needs, storage was sufficient with plenty of wardrobe space and large drawers under the bed. The bathroom was small but adequate. Our steward kept it spotless for us.

We ate in the Britannia restaurant (second sitting) and the Lido. We had lunch one day in the Golden Lion and we took afternoon tea one afternoon in More the Queen's Room. I think we managed to sample all of the bars on the ship (not all on the same evening, you understand!). The food was good and it was necessary to do a lot of walking and stair climbing to try to counteract the effects.

The ship had been described to us as warm and cosy. Possibly a little too brown for my taste - but I loved the library with its spiral staircase and the Midships Bar with Erte prints and statuette. I was not too keen on the "tat" tables which appeared every evening around the shops.

I loved the live music around the ship and the fact that in the evening it was possible to walk from a string quartet to a piano to a harpist to jazz. We went to the theatre several times, apparently it sleeps 700 - and I could nudge my husband on my right but not the snoring gentleman on my left.......

We had a late disembarkation, so although we had to put out our luggage the night before and vacate our cabin by 8.30am, provision was made for safe storage of hand luggage and we were able to use the ship's facilities and even go ashore on disembarkation day. We also had lunch in the Lido before we left.

Apart from the well known places we visited we also spent time in two smaller Greek Islands - Samos, where I lunched on freshly caught red fish in a back street taverna, and Zakynthos, which was pretty - but forgettable.

These were dream destinations and an incredible holiday. Less

Read more Queen Victoria cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Queen Victoria Review >>

Cabin review: Queen Victoria Balcony Deck 6 6184

Quiet cabin, plenty of storage, tiny bathroom

It was not our first visit to Athens, and we were able to see changes in the city. The mounds of uncollected rubbish were indicative of the state of the city. We booked a ship's tour, with the idea that if anything went wrong (riots, demonstrations) Cunard would get us back to the ship. Unfortunately, our guide was not good, we could not hear what she was saying, and more than once she walked off without checking to see if the group was with her. When we got to the top of the Acropolis - and we realised that the little group who had gone to the restrooms had been abandoned at the bottom - we told her that we would make our own way back to the bus. We went down, had coffee and joined the rest of the tour who were then taken to what I believe was a shop belonging to a family memebr for our "free time shopping in the Placa" A great disappointment

A beautiful place. We had a shuttle from the dock and then walked around the walls enjoying the stunning views of the sea and the old town. Afterwards we visited the Franciscan monastery and cloisters, where we saw for ourselves the evidence of the damage done during the recent war - a mortar hole through the outside wall. A lovely place

What can I say about somewhere as legendary as Istanbul? We were able to visit Topkapi Palace (and see the diamond, and the emeralds), Hagia Sofia, the Blue Mosque - not as blue as I expected and with a very soft carpet - and the Grand Bazaar. From our balcony I watched the second busiest waterway in the world (the busiest being the English Channel) and listened to the call for prayer from the different mosques..fantastic
Read 262 Istanbul Reviews

From Izmir we visited Ephesus, St John's and The House of the Virgin Mary. There were moments when we felt we were on our own, and others when we saw the thousand people who were also visiting that day. A stunning place, full of atmosphere and history
Read 153 Izmir Reviews

We have visited Naples before and don't like it, so we took the opportunity to take a ship's tour to Herculaneum. Quite different to Pompeii, and because it was preserved in mud and lava it was well worth the visit
Read 653 Naples Reviews

What a beautiful spot - rumoured to have been Atlantis. The ship was in the caldera, and we took the cable car up to the top for the stunning views

What can I say! We sailed in to Venice, seeing all the iconic views familiar from pictures. We took the ship's water shuttle to St Mark's Square and we visited the Basilica. We had been advised to look at the floors as well as the ceilings and walls - it was a lovely place. Then we went to the Doges Palace. We assumed - rightly as it happened - that taking a tour or audioguide would have been overwhelming, and so we just walked around, marvelling at the ceilings and the art and architecture. We finished our mini-tour of Venice with a trip on Vaporetto No 1 down the Grand Canal - reminding me of all those Canaletto paintings I have enjoyed for so long. Mind you, I think that the highlight of the day for my husband was the People Mover we took back to the ship!
Read 516 Venice Reviews