Marco Polo Cruise Review by irene broadhead: Judge a cruise by price. Sometimes a mistake

irene broadhead
0 Post

Judge a cruise by price. Sometimes a mistake

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Got a late deal on an old ship therefore did not have very high expectations. BIG MISTAKE!!! What we actually got was brilliant value for money. Embarkation was a dream our cases taken from us and waiting in our cabin when we arrived. The ship is small and over 40yrs old and what a grand old lady she is. More for my age group 60+ but definitely not boring and lifeless. All public rooms are warm and inviting.

The staff of various nationalities were wonderful and always willing to help.
Our cabin stewardess was fantastic and the cabin was attended to twice a day. The cabin was of a reasonable size with plenty of storage. bathroom small but adequate with a nice basket of toiletries available. We tried not have our towells replaced too often as requested but if they were soiled they were relaced without asking.

The Waldorf restaurant was superb as were our waiter and his assistant. I asked for cream with my coffee on the first evening and it was brought every evening More after without asking. Also there was a wine waiter (even though I do not drink) something lacking on many cruise ships these days. The menus were exceptionally good and the food very good indeed. The selection and presentaion first class. No there was not fillet steak and lobster but I was not paying a five star price. Marco's self service cafeteria could become very busy and difficult to find a seat. My main gripe were canteen type mugs used in Marcos and the dreadful bits of plasic used as teaspoons. These mugs were also put on saucers with same pieces of plastic for afternoon tea not very inviting. A minor complaint really.

The entertainment. A great team who gave of their best all the time. The shows were very good and well presented but the dash upto Scotts Bar after the show to be sure of a seat was well worth it. Why the rush? To see Richard Sykes (the ultimate cruise director) and his team put on the show of all shows EVERY NIGHT. On sea days there was plenty to do all the usual cruise silly
games but fun. If you don't like them don't complain just sit them out they are not compulsory. The guest speakers were very interesting and the comedian excellant he could actually make you laugh without being foul mouthed and crude.

The destinations were excellant and getting off the ship in each port very easy.
Gibraltar was a let down as we only had a morning there the same with La Coruna.
We only had one tender day as this was handled very well.

I did hear complaints but I feel the people making them should be asked how much they paid for their cruise. If they want Queen Mary standards then pay Queen Mary prices.

All in all out of my six cruises this had to be the best for value for money. Less

Read more Marco Polo cruise reviews >>