Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by MikeandTutti: Good not great

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Good not great

Sail Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Arrived via car evening before, stayed at Cocoa Beach Hilton, as previously we were allowed to park our car there for the duration of the cruise. Day of embarkation was tedious, shuttle driver forgot to close rear door and some of our luggage tumble onto the street. Oh well we were on vacation. Took some time to get through the line and onto the ship. Yes the Windjammer was crowded for lunch but not overly so. More on the Windjammer later. We decided to book a promenade view room, big mistake, very small room compared to the balcony rooms we usually book. This is also the first bed that we could not slide our luggage under, so we placed it wedged into the area that should have been occupied by the chair for the vanity. One closet was also insufficient for our needs. The shower although it had a door rather than a curtain leaked like a sieve. Our in room mini safe failed to open on several occasions requiring calls to maintenance, we gave up on it and kept it open. Lastly we More had a view of the pursers desk and not the promenade, but we did not hear any noises either, a testament to RCL excellent noise insulation in the promenade rooms.

On a whole the ship was beautiful, the crew great, and the captain hilarious in a very subtle way. The royal promenade is a novel idea we enjoyed strolling it very much. It had the typical stores, Ben and Jerry's was overpriced as well as the cupcake place. Johnny Rockets on the 12th deck was great, pricey, but excellent food and shakes.

The shows were not up to what I had experienced in the past with the exception of the ice show and a comic whose name eludes me, he was musically talented as well as swinging mean bolas.

We ate at Chops, very good food, again not up to par with what I have had in the past. Main dining room early seating was quite enjoyable, we were lucky and had exceptional table mates as well as excellent service. The food was quite good also. The Windjammer was organized in a fashion that confused, also the diversity of food was lacking. I believe Indian was on the menu daily. One day I was happy to find Chicken Marsala and spooned a good portion on my plate, one bite and I was convinced the cooks had lost their mind, as it was lava hot. Going back I noticed it was Chicken Masala one letter made all the difference in the world.

the passengers seemed somewhat subdued, and older than we expected. Even with these minor glitches, we had a very good time. Perhaps we will give RCL another shot.

We were however dismayed at the blatant display of gold card this and gold card that special treatment...it was so overt we as a mere regular passengers felt second class at times.

Port 1 Labade Haiti...very nice, awesome water, relaxing, buffet lunch was good. Careful when going to the local "vendor Village" they are very aggressive about selling you something Less

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Promenade Stateroom Deck 6

tiny closet, small room,

(5)
Awe inspiring animals, worth the trip. I could not help but wonder if we were doing these magnificent creatures a disservice by taming them and having them do things that are so unnatural. I could not bring myself to take a tour guide posed picture with the stingrays. Still it was exhilaration to see and touch the rays.

(3)
loved this place, we were rushed and had little time to take in the entire farm. Had the tour guide ommitted the stop in Hell and the rum cake factory, which were not on the tour itinerarry, we could have spent more time at the farm and not been late for the boat to the sandbar. The tour was so overbooked that I and several other did not have a seat on the boat.

(5)
This was just great. Had ridden ATV's on many occasions before, but the jungle environment coupled with rather fast ATV's was just fantastic. We had only six riders on the entire excursion. Lunch at the beach afterwards was good. I enjoy Cozumel on every visit, we also ended up having the best Ceviche we had since our stay in Panama.
Read 1069 Reviews

Falmouth a very new port and has everything you expect at a cruise port. Took the best of Jamaica excursion. Dunn's river falls was as I expected, crowded, but utterly beautiful, the water was refreshingly cold. The beach and lunch was another glorious example why I want to live in the Caribbean. Sadly the fantasy ends while driving around, as it is evident that you are in an underdeveloped country. As in Haiti the vendors are aggressive but will leave you alone if you tell then unequivocally no. Blue Mountain coffee is not as good as it's made out to be, it's coffee, my Kuerig make better.
Read 493 Falmouth Reviews