Independence of the Seas Cruise Review by jean stevenson: Canary's in October - not the best idea!!!

jean stevenson
0 Post

Compare Prices on Independence of the Seas Canary Islands Cruises

Canary's in October - not the best idea!!!

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Southampton

Well what can i say? After looking forward to our canary island cruise on Independence of the Seas, I have to say I was a tad disappointed.

Okay, so perhaps my judgement is clouded by too many "rough" sea days - stabilisers on the ship weren't great, and not enough sunshine - my fault for choosing to go in October I guess. But the ship itself is just too big. And dont get me wrong, I have cruised on Ventura and Ruby Princess recently but Independence just doesn't seem to be able to cope with the vast amount of passengers.

Sun beds were plentifull, but typically people would lay towels out early on and then be nowhere to be seen for the most of the day. The 30 minute rule was not observed at all, and I think that should be up the cruise line.

Food was good, and plenty of choice, but quite often a long wait in line for a table on the My Time Dining option if you turned up at 8pm - we ended up eating earlier to secure a table. The waiters are lovely and More work very hard and soon get to know your preferences which is a nice touch.

We only had inside cabins as I prefer it (not being woken by early morning daylight) and it was more than adequate, plenty of storage, standard shower cubicle etc. What I was upset about was being charged for a mini-bar purchase (on the first day), which I queried but was never refunded - I dont think it was stocked properly to start with - but they would not take my word for it!!

Shops on board have all the basics and are reasonably priced. However, I was again overcharged in the shop on the last day, and because the till was busy the assistant assured me he would process the refund as soon as he got a change, suprise suprise it wasn't done - it was only $3 but it is the principle!!! More bars than you could possibly visit - and plenty of eating places. As well as the 3 main dining rooms, the Windjammer cafe always had a good selection of food whatever time of day you visit, and we always managed to find a table reasonably quickly. Johnny Rockets is a must if you have kids, they just keep bringing the food until you can't eat anymore and for $4.95 each surcharge was good value. Didn't try either Choppes or Portofinos so can't comment on them.

Do your homework for any port visits as the local information they provide is very basic - on the grounds they want you to buy their trips. For example, on the port guide for Madeira they didn't even mention the cable car/toboggan ride which is what most people chose to do!

My main gripe I guess is the amount of people that dont abide by the dress codes - on formal nights it is nice to make the effort and a lot of people just didn't bother which is a shame - and sticking my neck out here, but I do think Independence is indeed "butlins at sea" and is more downmarket than some of the other cruise lines. Less

Read more Independence of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Independence of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Independence of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 8695

Loved Lisbon - we walked off the ship and along to Belem - about 40 min walk, to the Navigator monument and Belem Tower. Be warned the tower only has one spiral staircase up and down and got VERY congested and claustrophobic. We then got a taxi up to the castle for 8euro but it was ridiculously busy so we sat and had a coffee at one of the little cafes and then ambled into town. Unfortunately it was a sunday so most shops were shut but it was a nice walk and plenty of cafes open.
Read 278 Lisbon Reviews

Funchal is stunning - very lush and green - luckily we were there in the sunshine, and had a lovely ride on the cable car up the mountain, with the sole aim of getting the tobaggon rides back down. Be aware the queues for the baskets to come back down are horrendous and we queued for about 1.5 hrs. Saying that it was great fun and I would recommend it. After that we got a taxi back into town, you can walk but it is ridiculously steep and we didn't have a great deal of time left. Town is very pretty, lots of cafes/shops/fruit and fish market etc. We took the shuttle bus from the port as it is about 1/2 hr walk into the main area and we didn't have a great deal of time, we set sail about 3pm i think. It would have been nice to have a longer visit there.

We actually sailed into La Coruna and took the ships tour to Santiago. What a stunning place - the cathedral is beautifull and well worth the 45 min bus ride to get there. You can feel the history seeping out of the walls around you and is a lovely place to spend a few hours.

I can't really rate Tenerife as we stayed on board ship all day. It was our one day of brilliant sunshine so just decided to chill. However, friends of ours mentioned they walked off the ship - about 20 mins along a long jetty - and they found a lovely lagoon area with pools and sunbathing just beyond the port gates - again something not mentioned in the local info given on board. Do think this is something Independence needs to address - the lack of good local info for the benefit of the passengers.
Read 208 Tenerife Reviews

(3)
Vigo was our first port of call - nice enough place but not a lot to do - would suggest you take a trip out of town.
Read 200 Vigo Reviews