“MSC New England/Canada Review”
Cruise review of MSC Poesia

cracker355 MSC Poesia 2 MSC New England/Canada Review
cracker355
Member Since 2011
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
After our smooth flight to New York, my wife and I began our MSC 7 night cruise with a rather painless check in. While walking to the ship I was impressed by the new appearance of the ship. Everything was clean and freshly painted (ship looked new). Upon entering the ship I was greeted by many ships crew welcoming me (barely speaking English) wanting to escourt me to my room. My wife an I stopped by the Excursion representative and discussed excursions (again with a person the barely spoke or understood English). We managed to make it to our room by ourselves and again i was impressed by the cleanliness of the ship. Upon arriving at our room it was very small in comparison to our other cruises aboard Princess and Carnival, but it was nice. I guess that is where things began to go down hill. To be brief. The Excursions we booked to Halifax, St john, and Boston were outstanding. Our guides were great! Bar Harbour we took the tender to shore and did some shopping, exploring, and dining. Newport, Rhode Island was hell. The time in port was only 5 hours. It took 3 hours to be tendered to shore which left only 2 hours for shore. Crew told us the weather was to bad, high winds. I checked my Accuweather App and the winds were 6 mph, sunny, temp high 40's. I do no know what bad weather is. While waiting on the tender all paid excursion guests were escorted to the rear tender door and rapidly tendered to the dock. I guess those who pay get off boat and all others wait. Food, let's face it is a real enjoyment of cruising. Food was horrible. It reminded of cheep cafeteria food. The formal evenings was no better. A REAL LET DOWN. Lastly I only met two friendly crew members. A young lady at the excursion desk spoke good English, made eye contact, smiled every time i saw her on the ship. Our room Steward was also very friendly. Needless to say this was a cruise I will never forget, but will work hard to forget. I will not be visiting an MSC Cruise Ship again and would not recommend MSC to anyone.
MSC Poesia Cruises to Canada & New England
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

109005
Our cabin was small, but clean and decorated nice. The bathroom had a urine smell that remained all week. Our cabin was the second cabin from the bow. A night crossing through a Nor'Easter was rough and when the anchor was lowered in port the morning after the rough night a sea, I thought we were going down from hitting something. The bed was the hardest thing i ever slept on.

Port
Took the 7 hour bus tour. 7 hours doesn't do justice to Boston. Our guide was awesome and knew the city and history. It poured down rain but did not slow him down. GREAT excursion!
Read 359 Boston Reviews
Port
We went on the 7 hour tour which was very interesting. Our guide was great. Would love to spend some time in Halifax.
Read 460 Halifax Reviews
Port
Sucked! The MSC cruise stole this day from hundreds of it's guests. MSC ran 2 tenders shutteling passengers to Newport. I took us 3 hours to get to port, leaving us less than 2 hours to explore. We found a great place to get something to eat (Shop food was lousy)and went to a few shops and waited in a line that stretched down a city block to get back to the ship. Princess which was docked beside us had 6+ tenders in operation that seated many more passengers than the MSC tenders. Newport is a beautiful place, but my wife and I didnt get to see anything. Oh, not to mention a harbor master officer commented how unorganized and reckless the drivers of the tenders were eaven having to ticket MSC tender drivers for violations in the past.
Read 139 Newport Reviews
Published 11/01/11
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s MSC Poesia Review
MSC Poesia Cruises to Canada & New England
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?