Disney Dream Cruise Review by Bigc1: Disney Dream

Disney Dream

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Let me start by saying my wife and I sailed on the Disney Wonder on our honeymoon in 2000 when it was new. So I figured after the birth of our daughter it would only be right to take another Disney cruise on a new ship.

We arrived at the terminal to learn Disney Cruise Line has their own porters, needless to say service was quick, friendly and we didn't have to search for someone to help with our bags.

So we choose to park at the terminal so the baby could ride in her car seat and ran into issue #1. The price is $15 a day. We later learned the two words "a day" were key words. We arrived for our 3 night cruise at 1 pm on Thursday and left at 8 am on the following Sunday (67 hours later). Upon leaving we were charged $60 because we were there for 4 days (Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday). WOW way to make money charging us for an extra 29 hours for parking while our car was on the road.

Then came embarkation all I can say is wow. Walked up and on in no More time. In fact the Disney guy took longer to print our Key to the World than it took took to make it through the line.

The dining room food and service was great. The buffet line was issue #2. Why would they put the dish accoutrement before the dish? Waffles THEN the berries, whipped cream and syrup, not lettuce tomatoes sour cream THEN the tacos. It just causes mass confusion in the cattle lines. It would seem the imagineers dropped the ball on this.

The photography was issue #3 which was negated by the organization of the pictures. Let me explain. No pictures were taken on the last night at dinner and only two back drops (white and moonlight) and the stairs and statue provided limited photo ops (aside from the characters). BUT the pictures that were taken were placed in an individual book on a book shelf for easy locating. One swipe of the Key to the World and you know right where they are and will be for the remainder of the cruise. So this made up for the lack of variety. On the picture front to get the reprint rights you pay $199 for a disk with all of the pictures you took throughout the cruise. Not bad if you plan on buying 10 or more pictures.

We went to Castaway Cay, Castaway was great. The kiddo and I had a great nap in a hammock. The splash area wasn't crowded and there was plenty of sand to play in. With the shops linked to the ship shopping was a breeze using our "Key to the World" card. And we were given the option to have the items delivered to our stateroom. The food was a Bar-B-Que buffet and it was good. They even brought the ice cream machine from the ship.

Then to the end disembarkation. If you have early dinner you have early breakfast at the previous nights restaraunt and you leave afterward. Our wake up call was at 6:15am and we were on I-95 by 8:30 am. Way to go Disney.

Overall the baby girl loved it and we loved watching her (even if we didn't get to do Aqua-Duck). Less

Read more Disney Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Dream Deluxe Family Oceanview Stateroom Deck 5

Awesome bathroom. Separate poop room and shower rooms. The bath tub was deep enough for the baby to enjoy. A side seating area allowed for the leg shavings. Two shower heads one in the ceiling for the tall folks and a hand held on for the hard to reach areas. The window seat was narrow and needed 4 more inches for true comfort. Plenty of closet space and drawers for clothes.

What can I say? It was Nassau without any excursions. Ho-hum. (We could not do any excursions due to age restrictions) I can take it or leave it. The only reason we got of of the ship was to say the kiddo was there.
Read 2666 Nassau Reviews