Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Brenrie

Norwegian Star
Member Name: Brenrie
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: Tampa
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
        Under 3 2.0
        3-6 3.0
Rates 5+

NCL - Star is any thing but a Star!!!
First off my Husband and I cruise at least 1 to 2 times a year. We have cruised Carnival, Royal Caribbean, & Celebrity and loved all of them. We decided to try NCL Star for our first cruise with NCL and were very disappointed!!!

We set sail on the 23rd for a 7 day cruise. Departure was very disorganized but was able to be overlooked. We got on the boat and decided to get lunch since we were traveling with our 2 small children (age 2 & 6). First impression of the food was it was very bland then my son's food had not 1 but 3 pieces of hair in it. We laughed that off and hoped that it would get better but it didn't. By the end of the cruise my son's food had contained 5 pieces of hair & a bug in it & my daughter's had 2 pieces of hair! Also this was the first cruise that we have been on that only offers tea & coffee for free through out the day. Any thing else including juices you had to pay for. In there defense they did have cranberry & oj until 10 am available. Not to mention both children ended up with food poison & were stuck in the room after seeing the doctor for 24 hours sleeping it off!

I will say the only good food we had was at Cagney's steakhouse and was worth the $25. The service was mediocre at best. The only thing that bumped it up in my opinion was a server on the pool deck named Vincent that was very attentive.

Our room steward decided not to make up our room 2 of the days at all. We asked for ice and finally got some on day 4. We also asked if we could get our safe opened since it was locked and were never able to get that achieved. Since my children were stuck in the room with food poison I asked for a room service menu since we did not have one. Room service told me that they could not give me one or tell me what they had on the menu. So I went to the service desk the lady told me she didn't have one to find my room steward. I tried looking for her could not. Finally 2 hours later on a different floor I found someone that gave me one. My son was complaining one night that his skin was burning. I looked him over and found at least 10 bites on him. My husband looked around and found an odd bug that looked like a cross between a bee and an ant.

Since there was a hurricane in the Caribbean we assumed that the Captain would changed direction to a different port of just do the ports in the opposite order to ensure better weather.....we were wrong!!!! Instead we continued in the same direction even though ever other cruise ship changed there itinerary.

We had all but 2 days of rainy rough seas. Cozumel we didn't go to at all because of the weather.

My husband went to the reception desk to inform them about our concerns and he was told "Sir what do you expect this is only our second cruise in the Caribbean with a new staff"

For those cruising with children the camp was good for my daughter who is 6.

She had a lot of fun. My son did not like it. It also makes it very hard to go to any of the shows if you have little ones. My children's normal bed time is 7:30 but we allowed them to stay up later on vacation. Bad news is that if your children are sleeping they will not allow them to go to camp. When I asked one of the counselors how they expected a 2 year old to stay up that late so we could see the show she told me that it was a rule and we should just try to keep him up.

I have never been on a cruise where I actually counted down the days to go home until this cruise! I was so happy to get off that boat!! I thought we were the only ones that were disappointed at first until talking to many other people that had the very same opinion. My opinion is to cruise any other line or boat then the NCL Star!!!!

My brother was on a cruise with Carnival at the very same time and raved about not only the service but the good weather. He said their Captain changed routes and every day was beautiful.

Publication Date: 10/31/11