Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by dawalker05

Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Summit
Member Name: dawalker05
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: FV

Great Cruise Experience
This cruise was a repositioning cruise from Bayonne, NJ to San Juan. The cruise made stops in Bermuda, St Thomas and San Juan. I have been on several cruises however I wanted my daughters to experience a cruise. This cruise was inexpensive and shorter. It worked out but another port would have been nice.

The Ship as many have said is in need of some TLC. Our room was a Family Veranda Room which was perfect for our trip. My daughter and her partner (boyfriend), stayed in the living area and my daughter and I stayed in the bedroom area with the beds apart. The balcony is huge and it was great to go out to read. The view is a little different as you cannot see things until you get right on top of it unlike a balcony room on the sides of the ship. The room was big so this was great. The sofas were tattered and worn however everything else in the room was great. The rest of the ship was fine just showing age. The ship overall is maintained well.

The food was outstanding and the service in the cosmopolitan restaurant was excellent. We enjoyed the experience. As many times as I have cruised I very seldom use room service. My daughters loved the room service however the menu was small for late night. The Waterfall was good however nothing to write home about. My complaint with Celebrity is the way they serve the food. I hope that when they remodel the boat in January they will do it more like Royal with the food stations. The Solstice Ships changed the way they serve and it is great. You never know which line you are in and so the confusion.

Entertainment was great. My daughters went to the trivia programs and the Celebrity life programs were excellent. We took a tour of the kitchen area and the Normandie Restaurant. Loved this! I wanted to do the big tour with all of the behind the scenes however this cost $150 and I thought that was a little pricey for a tour. The cruise director team was excellent and very professional.

Ports were good. We did absolutely nothing in Bermuda by way of an excursion. We took the Ferry to Hamilton and did a little shopping and walked around town. When we arrived back to the ship we ate lunch on ship and then walked around the Kings Wharf area. Since I was footing the bill I thought that Bermuda was a little overpriced for excursions. This was my first visit to Bermuda and I do not have it on the top of my list to return. Nice place. The second port was St Thomas. Wow! Loved every minute of it and I hated to leave. My daughters loved our day there. We did take an excursion. Tour and highlights of the area with views from the mountain side. The tour stopped at Peter the Great Estate. The views from there were breathtaking. The final hours were spent at Magens Bay Beach. Nice! It is the best part of the cruise. I am a little biased because I love anything not Mexico in the Carib. St Thomas, St Kitts, St Maarten etc are all must sees on a cruise.

Service overall was good to Okay. I was surprised at the poor bar service. The ship seemed to not have enough bartenders. In the Revelations Lounge you could stand at the bar for a while before someone waited on you. One night in the Martini bar the Bar Manager was greeting everyone and he took our order. It seemed that they were short staffed. Big presence by managers on this cruise. That was great to see that they are out and about on the cruise. Stateroom attendant was good and his assistant. We are really low maint. My daughters hated it when the stateroom person folded their clothes. I just laugh.

Overall a good experience. My daughters are now hooked on the cruises. I am happy because maybe the next one they will foot the bill. :)

Publication Date: 10/31/11