Carnival Dream Cruise Review by ks_farmer_girl

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Carnival Dream Cruise Review by ks_farmer_girl
Member Name: ks_farmer_girl
Cruise Date: October 2011
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 8D
See More About: Carnival Dream Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
Entertainment 5+

Carnival Dream
Embarkation was very easy and lines ran extremely fast. We booked cruise express to get from the airport to the port. Didn't realize that it was a 35-40 minute drive. I HIGHLY suggest that you do book with cruise express as we had a great experience with them. Their prices were only $40 pp round trip. Every where else that I looked was a lot higher :)

Anyhow...after we got on board our rooms were not quite ready yet so we went up to deck 10(lido deck) and got some lunch. You will find that during the course of your cruise you will find a lot of the same type of food being served. But if you do the formal dining they have a lot of variety and new foods to try :)

When we got to our balcony room we were surprised to find that our balcony over looked a hot tub and another level of the ship. I read this on another members blog but didn't know what she meant. You can still see the ocean-but it kinda n a way has a blocked few :( We met some people and they had a cove balcony...same thing but the balcony deck "window" is a little smaller and if you sit down you cant see. But they were close to the ocean and didn't have to hear people from outside. Plus its cheaper. If we go back-we will definitely go for this room :)

Our first port of call was the Bahamas!!! Yea um no. Wasn't that great of an experience. We wanted to go to the zoo-so the bus driver told us 1.25 each. And we were all excited..... So we get on and he takes us through the GHETTO. I mean it was NOT pretty!!!! :( So i got to talking to a little native girl who was very sweet-come to find out this was the bus drivers daughter. Well she said she had never gone to the zoo-and asked if she could go. I was really surprised that she hadn't and so everyone agreed to let her come bc we all felt bad. I seriously did not want to babysit-especially on my honeymoon-but unfortunately i can have a soft spot for little kids. Her dad said she could go-and so when we got there he not only charged us $5 pp instead of the agreed $1.25 but he basically pawned his daughter on us as well. The zoo was okay-but the $16pp was a CRAZY price to pay!!!! :( We were only there for an hour and when we got back on the bus we thought he wouldn't charge us bc we all had baby sat. Nope. We told him we wanted to walk back. He said it was too far. And that we were his bread and butter. Come to find out it was about a mile away. We could of walked that in no time. He insisted that the reason why he charged so much was bc he took us on a "tour". I don't consider stopping twice to take pics from inside a bus a "tour" but whatever. We were all glad to be done and over w/ it. So when we got back we took a five min walk to the beach and had more fun there then we did at the zoo. Beware of these frauds. I suggest you take a cab to Atlantis and go and explore there and leave the natives to them selves. Its just a major tourist trap. Also you will find ladies coming up to you and putting necklaces on you then wanting money "for the children". I seriously doubt the money goes to them.

That night (night two) was elegant night where you get to get dressed up :) I think this is a lot of fun...my husband...not so much. I suggest you go and take as many pics as you can. Theres not obligation to buy and how many people now days go and get professional pics? We also set up an appt to go with a photographer to do private pics of my husband and I around the ship. These are a little more money vs the other pics-but WELL WORTH the extra $8. We ended up getting 2 :) Were very pleased with them :) The lobster at dinner was delicious!!! :) and the melting cake still very yum :)

Day three we were in St. Thomas. Very pretty island. We did a land exploration with Land Island Marketing tours. Have gone with them before and have always been pleased. They are far more cheaper then w/ carnival and you get the same experience plus more. We got to go around the islands to all these sight seeing spots and then we got to go swimming :) They gave us a choice of cocoa beach or Meagan's bay...should of gone to Maegan's bay. Cocoa beach was free-but it was small and crowded. We tried to get a chair but they wanted to charge us $5 pp. They were nasty and rusted so we laid out on the sand. We did a little shopping which was fun :) The alcohol is CRAZY CHEAP and souvenirs are low cost also :) Over all from what we seen of this island was beautiful and worth it :) The banana daiquiris are very good-but think i expected more. If you go to the spot they were invented-be prepared to pay $8 for a small cup and the lines are CRAZY!!! They needed A LOT more help. There is a small shop right out of the cruise ship terminal that will sell them to you for around $5. And also they have cheap beer (;

The next stop was St. Maarten. Very pretty island from what we seen. We again booked through Land Island Marketing tours and we did a catamaran tour. Where we got to go to some hot spots and snorkel and swim. They do provide lunch and snacks w/ as much rum punch as you would like :) This was a LOT of fun and Enrico and gang were very nice and very informative. There was a lot of laughing and joking goin around :) My husband and I both got to try our hand at steering the said boat-and in since we are from Kansas we obviously don't get many opportunities to do this. On this tour (which lasted for about 4hours) we did stop at nude beach. Not my idea of a lot of fun...but my husband...yea no comment. Lol. We swam to the beach (a 2min swim) and played around for about an hour and a half. We met a couple who were in their 40's and hung out with them :) So after we got back we all went shopping :) Again lots of cheap alcohol that they're tryn to sell you. So theres a lot of "taste testing" going on. You could easily be feeling tipsy by the time your ready to go back. Lol. One thing I did not know was that you can offer them a lower price (even in the shops) and usually they'll go down on their prices :)

For the next and final two days at sea my husband and I relaxed and spent a lot of time in their infinity hot tubs :) Their adult area is AWESOME!!! :) Since again we were on our honey moon-we didn't always want to be around a bunch of screaming kids (; Our room Stewart was great and was always clean when got back :)

Debarkation was a pain. We had a flight at 11 and so we were told to be down on three at 630. Um yea we didn't even get to disembark until after 8. So there was other stuff we could of been doing instead of sitting and waiting. Security was a breeze :)

After you book your cruise be sure to call back often and check on prices. Prices do tend to go up and down and they will credit you the extra money to your account :) Because of this we were able to get back $100 per person to use on whatever :)

Do not pay the $100 to a future cruise. This is a scam. You give them that money and they draw interest off of it until you book again-then give it back to you in form of on board credit. Wish would of known that last year :(

Do go to see the shows that they have :) We attended two of them and was surprised on just how talented they were!!! :)

Another thing talk to people :) Everyone seemed like they wanted to make friends. Last years cruise everyone seemed stuck up and didn't want to talk. No the case with this one :) Super nice people on board :)

Overall we had a blast-and would recommend this cruise :)

Publication Date: 10/31/11