Arcadia Cruise Review by John Pearson: An epic adventure

An epic adventure

Sail Date: August 2011
Destination: Transatlantic
Embarkation: Southampton

Embarkation. We boarded at The Ocean Terminal for the first time and found it to be excellent. The process of handing over the car the luggage and proceeding through check in and onto the ship was pretty well seamless. Arrived at terminal at about 11.15am and were on board by just after 12.30pm. I would have rated the process 5 but for the fact that there were about 400 Portunis Gold Club members, who, quite rightly had priority but given the numbers it took quite a while to process them.
Service. We found to be excellent throughout the cruise and we were very well looked after by all the staff but particularly by our waiters Sebastian and Ajay on table 116 in the Meridian Lower Tier and by Loretta the chief bar keeper in the wonderful Rising Sun Pub. As mentioned in the cabin section our steward was first class.
Food. On the whole was very good, as ever on P&O well presented and served. One or two issues with the Belvedere self service restaurant, probably the worst self More serve out of Arcadia, Ventura and Oriana. In saying that my comments relate to breakfast and lunch, dining in the evening was good. The curry nights particularly were of a high standard. The two speciality restaurants are fabulous and well worth the cover charge, I am just sorry Gary Rhodes franchise is coming to an end. However, I am sure Marco Pierre White will do a fine job. Really we would love to see freedom dining across the fleet, I don't think you can get away from the fact that first sitting is too early and second is too late. Sitting at the same table with the same people at the same time is really quite low on our cruise wish list.Ports and excursions. The itinerary was superb and all the ports had something good to offer. New York was an undoubted highlight but they were all good. The excursions were varied interesting and reasonably priced. Particularly good was the JFK museum and library in Boston, the trip to Kennebunkport from Portland Maine,and, the Titanic experience in Halifax Nova Scotia.
Entertainment. Absolutely the best on any cruise we have been on. The Cruise Director Tracy Clegg and her team (and a team is just what they were) gave their all. I have never known an entertainments team work so hard and so well. From Arcadia's version of Strictly Come Dancing to Quizzes and the ships own version of loose women called 'Loose lips' it was all fantastic. Our wonderful dance instructors Alan and Ginny Newman were lovely people, so kind and patient and they made learning to dance such fun. On the formal side Sam Kane, Brian Conley and the wonderful voice of Eve Sherratt were exactly what they are stars. I did hear a not of complaining the morning after one show, a comedian, and, I have seen something in a review on this site. However, cannot comment as were attended the dancing that evening.
We both found the lecture programme varied and interesting, in fact some topics I would have not expected to be interesting turned out to be very good.
Summary. Absolutely fantastic we loved it and will certainly never forget the cruise. Less

Read more Arcadia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Arcadia Review >>

Cabin review: Arcadia Deluxe Stateroom with Balcony and Bath/Shower C Deck D73

Very comfortable cabin in a great position pretty well midships. An absolutely excellent steward who could not do enough for us.Yes the balcony area was a little 'worn' as has been stated by some other reviewers of Arcadia, but a very minor matter. After all she is due for re-fit and I am sure that this and other wear and tear issues will be addressed at that time.

Absolutely charming could have stayed there for months. The place was so nice, New England Clam Chowder and a Lobster Roll made a very pleasant lunch.

(5.5)
Very scholarly, a big Irish influence and a place where the Kennedy name is held in very high regard. It felt rather like Oxford and Cambridge do, you are acutely aware of the importance of academia, and there is the same 'Town v Gown' mentality that exists in Oxford and Cambridge.
Read 223 Boston Reviews

An interesting port, the Pier 21 immigration museum and the Titanic experience excursion made this a pleasant call in beautiful sunshine. We had an excellent guide though which greatly enhanced our experience.
Read 356 Halifax Reviews

The Big Apple, absolutely in your face, breathtaking.

(5.5)
Newport Rhode Island exuded wealth and class and had a great feel to it
Read 125 Newport Reviews

Not a great deal there but the excursion to Kennebunkport was a delight.

Everything we expected and more with none of the anti British horror stories we had heard having any credence at all. Somewhere I had long wanted to visit and I was not disappointed.The sail up and down the St.Lawrence river makes the stop at Quebec all the more impressive.

A very warm and friendly place, sadness at it being the last port but it was memorable for the very friendly people and for the spectacular harbour entrance/exit. I did not have space to review St John New Brunswick our other port, again the people were nice but we caught it on a bad day it was very foggy and as a consequence looked rather drab and grey, which, I am sure it is not.