MSC Poesia Cruise Review by Kreader: Mixed Review

Compare Prices on MSC Poesia Canada & New England Cruises

Mixed Review

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

This was my first MSC cruise. I had taken 15 cruises before this one.

Cabin: Small,inside,but ok for me. No hair conditioner or body lotion. Bed hard. Very lumpy pillows. No chair-just a stool. No choc. mint on pillow at night.

Food: Hit or miss. Very inconsistent-for example I had veal scaloppini one night and it was great,another night it was terrible. Some food good(even great),some bad(so bad I could not eat it),and some just average. Filet mignon,prime rib,most veal dishes,most pasta dishes,tiramisu-very good. Pizza very bland with little tomato sauce. Most food lukewarm not hot. Lunch and breakfast menus for the most part were the same each day-even in the dining room. I found the food in the dining room to be better than the buffets. You had to ask for spoons a lot.

Activities: Could have had more scheduled. On some sea days no activities available in the early afternoon for a few hours! Liked the trivia team events. Loved the Italian More lessons(Nina was a great teacher!).

Entertainment: Evening shows in main theater were enjoyable. Variety acts-singers,dancers,acrobats,magicians. Some classical music. Later-10:15pm show done by the entertainment staff was usually very enjoyable. Entertainment staff quite good-some of them Tyler,Nina,Rafael,and one Francesco knew me by name by the end of the cruise.Organization: This is one area that MSC needs to improve besides food. For example,on boarding the ship in New York,they did not have enough luggage tags. Also Lack of communication at times,especially waiting for tenders. Restrooms on public decks difficult to find.

Personnel: Cabin steward great. Dining stewards great. Some shore excursion staff people rude. Entertainment staff I thought quite good. Only saw Cruise Director at evening shows. Reception people I found nice and helpful-especially a gal named Roberta.

Passengers aboard ship: Lot of Americans and Canadians. Some Europeans. Very few well behaved children. Nice meeting my Cruise Critic people who attended my Meet and Greet event. My dinner companions-Linda,Pamela,Cathy,Betty,and Bill were nice and great company. And a nice guy Jim,who I met at breakfast one morning,and was surprised to see on my 7 hour shore excursion to Boston the next day.

Bottom Line: I did enjoy overall this cruise,with some irritating things tho. Would I take another MSC cruise? A Big Maybe-if the price was really good and the itinerary was good too! Less

Read more MSC Poesia cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's MSC Poesia Review >>

Cabin review: MSC Poesia Interior Petrarca Deck 12199

12199-Small. Could have used a chair. Some noise above in the buffet area.

Got off the ship and took the 10AM National Park bus tour of Acadia National Park-very interesting. Great views,and some fall colors. Went to Abbe Museum in the afternoon very small and somewhat disappointing. Great shopping-some stores had 50% off sales because it was the end of the cruise season.

Took a 7 hour ship's tour of Boston,Lexington,Concord,and Harvard. Great tour but not enough time in Lexington and Concord. Both Lexington and Concord very interesting.
Read 223 Boston Reviews

I took the ship's Anne of Green Gables Ultimate tour. Really good. Enjoyed the museum a lot(where the author married),and the homestead. Very short horse and buggy ride.

Very interesting port. I did my own thing. Walked up to the fort-very interesting. Also went to the Maritime Museum which I really enjoyed.
Read 356 Halifax Reviews

As the tenders were very late I had little time here. Did manage to take a public bus to the Breakers-took a great tour there.
Read 125 Newport Reviews

Had to buy a 2 day bus shuttle pass for $12.00 to center of city because we were docked so far away. First day I walked and climbed steps to Upper Town. Toured the fort and Chateau Frontenac-both very interesting. Also went in one church. Also toured the French-American museum-very interesting. Second day toured the Interpretative Center Museum,and the Museum of Civilization-both very interesting. Place Royale was just interesting.

Did my own thing again. Tour a city bus tour of the town for $20.00. Saw the Reversing Falls-a lot of rapids,and the old City Market. In the afternoon toured the New Brunswick Museum-very interesting.