Ventura Cruise Review by Jacky Taylor: A Sailor's Tale

A Sailor's Tale

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Canary Islands
Embarkation: Southampton

Embarkation and disembarkation at Southampton port were seamless. Ventura is a huge ship but all its facilities and where they are takes some fathoming out especially when some of the lifts don't go to where you want to go. Our aft cabin was lovely, except for the broken drawer, and had a large balcony. Tea and coffee making facilities were a boon and very welcome early morning, whilst getting ready for dinner and late at night before retiring. Socorro, our cabin steward, kept everything ship shape except for the broken drawer which attempted to kick me several times. Oh and did I mention the frilled half moon balcony mat which tripped me up a couple of times. I moved it.

Not all the service staff had read P & O's 'be friendly to the cruisers' booklet but on average they were fine even if some appeared preoccupied or fed up. Maybe they were thinking of the Caribbean, who wouldn't, the ship's next destination.

The food was lovely and varied. However I never got a More piece of decent toast or a fried egg to my liking. Must have gone to the Buffet at the wrong time, so my fault both were elusive.

We didn't partake of all the entertainment but what we saw was really good. Booked three trips out and all were great.

Although I prefer smaller cruise ships, with no broken drawers or frilled mats, I would travel on Ventura again if the itinery was right. Less

Read more Ventura cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Ventura Review >>

Cabin review: Ventura Outside Twin with Balcony and Shower A Deck C742

Cabin C742 - Quiet location but close to the lifts. Larger than average semi-private, part sheltered, balcony. Comfortable beds. Adequate bathroom. Spacious clothes hanging area. Free safe.

It was Sunday, it was quiet, so decided to stay onboard.

Took the courtesy bus into Arrecife which isn't the best place in the Canary Islands. However, there are some good shops and some inviting street bars so not all was lost.

Gran Canaria. If you walk out of the port, cross the road and bear right you will come to a most beautiful beach and promenade where you can eat, drink and catch the sun. A must really.

Such a beautiful island. Try the Cable Car and Toboggan ride. You won't be disappointed.

Spent the day in Playa de las Americas which is a popular resort and about an hour's drive from the ship. Lots to do here. We may have been able to get there by public transport or taxi but chose P & O's trip which gave us five hours in the resort.
Read 208 Tenerife Reviews

(5.5)
Loved Vigo and will return. Went on the Panoramic Galicia trip which enabled us to see more of the bay. Like Catalonia, this region of Spain does not have bull-fighting which pleased a lot of us enormously. Ghastly 'sport'.
Read 203 Vigo Reviews