Disney Wonder Cruise Review by Cookiesmom1: Good-but not what I'd expected from Disney

Cookiesmom1
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 1.0

Compare Prices on Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera Cruises

Good-but not what I'd expected from Disney

Sail Date: October 2011
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

We chose this cruise because we wanted a different cruise route and so that we could visit Disneyland in CA first. I'd done my research and knew about the troubles happening in Mexico and knew that Mazatlan had been dropped because of it, but I have to say that after being there, I would not recommend it right now, based on what we saw. People have different levels of comfort with these things, but when I vacation, I am not a fan of uneasy feelings.

I really hoped to love this Disney cruise-but, I did not. I traveled with seven other family members, two of which, were kids.

I'll start with IF this had been my first cruise, I would have been much more impressed. My husband and I have sailed on other cruise lines, and we've been to Disneyworld enough times that I've lost count. I honestly think that I set myself up to be blown away with a Disney cruise, because every visit to Disneyworld has exceeded my wildest dreams. Each visit just gets better thant he last. More I expected over the top WOW from the Disney Wonder, but that is not what I experienced.
The ship is clean and nice. Having been on other ships, the one thing that I noticed repeatedly on the Wonder is how poor the traffic flow is in restaurants, buffets and shows.
The food was just okay-typical chain restaurant type stuff. Having dined in some of the park restaurants in Florida, we expected that type of dining experience. We did not go to Palo because the times just did not work for our schedule, so I can't speak to that. Triton's was probably the better of the three venues. The wait staff were fabulous-Emma and Claudius rocked!
The fast food areas were probably a bit better-the kids chicken fingers were probably the BEST quality food of the week. (unreal, huh?) The sandwich area near the ice cream machine was good, IF it's freshly made. A lot of the time, the wraps had been sitting and were soggy.
The entertainment was okay-again, not really Disney-ish like at the parks. The Dreams show was nice, and the fireworks at sea were a fun experience. The daily activities left a bit to be desired-the offerings were either feast or famine-unless you want to watch a movie or listen to a DVC presentation, not much was offered. Luckily, I like to sit in the sun. I had hoped for a ship tour, a galley tour, some cooking classes, some good aerobic or zumba classes, etc. Nothing. There is a ship tour-but it shows the hidden Mickey stuff.
We used Disney for shore excursions-see port review for those details.
I used the spa services for a massage-nice, not pushy sales like on other trips.
The gym was okay-small, but never really crowded. I did notice that it was in an odd spot. You actually have to go through the spa to get to the gym. There's no private entrance.
I realize that comparing ships really isn't fair, however, I just went into this expecting that Disney would top it off and that I'd never want to sail on any other cruise line. We did have a nice family trip, but we all agreed that it really was not what we'd hoped for. I guess the bright side is that I can now cruise on another line and it'll be like getting a two for one sale!!! Less

Read more Disney Wonder cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Disney Wonder Review >>

Cabin review: Disney Wonder Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck Seven 7536

Good location-not much noise. Cabin was kept very clean. All mechanics in the cabin worked properly. It would be nice if the beverage coolers were replaced with real space mini fridges.

We spent two days here-day one's excursion was a shopping trip. We went from the tender to the pick up point and onto the bus in 20 minutes. Nice timing. The trip took us out towards the hotel zone on an A/C bus. We stopped at a glass blowing studio, a scenic overlook where we were given cans of soda, a cactus garden and then to Del Cabo for shopping. As a reminder that we were in a country with a very different safety factor, the tour guides were positioned in different places on the street as markers for areas not to venture past. We visited a church, many, many, many souvenir shops and a popsicle place. The glass studio was nice to see, but the area of town is sketchy at best. Day two was the Cabo Beach Resort trip-nice resort. Very pretty and clean. However, the inclusions from the Disney brouchure didn't materialize. No buffet-it closed at 11 and no restaurant-it was closed. We did get free beverage service for the time that we were there and use of the place. We spent two hours there, which was plenty. When I returned to the ship, we went to guest services to see if a portion of our money could be returned or some sort of ship board credit and were told that Disney is not responsible for what occurs while we are there-they work with contractors to provide a service and that ultimately, the contractor is at fault, but that they would note our feedback to the vendor. (nice way to say, sorry no money back) Not the Disney response that I had expected.

As we walked off of the ship, we immediately noticed the two uniformed guards with rifles. I guess they are there for our safety, but it's still unsettling. We did the Jolly Roger pirate tour-probably not something I'd recommend. The pirate boat was loud and very shaky. We got to the 'private beach" and were ferried from the pirate boat to the beach in little fishing boats. We all got life jackets and were told to put them on and take our shoes off for the boat ride to the beach. Quite an adventure. Some folks went snorkeling, some took sea kayaks and others sat on the beach. The private beach is shared by a hotel that's tucked in the area. They provided breakfast (eggs or cereal) and lunch (steak, shrimp or sandwiches) in what was supposed to be an air conditioned dining room. It was the bottom of the boat and it was not air conditioned. There was actaully one woman who was overcome by heat and passed out. She and her family got to spend the entire trip just waiting for it to end. This was not the worst shore excursion, but do yourself a favor and find something other than this in PV. It's a lot of money to spend to just be okay with it.