Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by paiagirl

Cruise Date: September 2011
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Transatlantic
Cabin Category: OE
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Transatlantic Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Awesome
I knew when I saw this itinerary, that I wanted to do this because we have never been on a trans-atlantic cruise before.

We flew directly to Dusseldorf via Air Berlin from LAX where we were met by German friends that we became friends with when we were on the NCL JADE to the Black Sea in 2009. After a day and night of German hospitality we then went by train to Lubeck where we stayed a couple nights at Hotel Stadt Lubeck. It is close to the Bahnhof which is what we wanted and clean. Maybe, a couple minutes of walk. We didn't hear any trains from our room. It is small and not modern. While at Lubeck we met a friend that I haven't seen for over 40 years.

From Lubeck, we went by train to Copenhagen where we stayed at Hotel Savoy before embarking the NCL SUN.

At first we were going by bus # 26 to the pier but met some cruisers at the hotel and went with them by taxi. This was the easiest embarkation we ever had. It took only a few minutes to enter the ship. That was awesome. It was unbelievable!

As usual, the NCL crew is friendly and made us feel at home. Our room steward, Kurt, was great. He would straighten up our mess even if I thought it was presently. Every morning, I would fix the bed but that wasn't good enough for him so he made it look nicer. He also made so many towel animals for us. The best one that I like, is the little mouse in the cup. Kurt thought it was cute that I would put a couple leis on the towel animals. The leis were of the Belgium flag colors that was given to us when we crossed the Netherlands into Belgium.

The waiters etc at the dining room was excellent except for the last breakfast which we didn't get what we ordered. She wasn't a happy waitress at all...not a good example for NCL but I mostly remember the excellent ones such as Eddie that remembered us from the SUN cruise last year from Santiago to Miami and Franjaya. The only problem with Franjaya, a group of cruisers had booked dinner with him for the entire cruise so we hardly saw him and when we did, he was awesome like Eddie.

Amsterdam was great. Have never being there before so made arrangements with Marius of De Dagtoertaxi which was recommended by our friend Heinbloed. A fellow cruiser joined us to see Amsterdam, Marken, Volendam, the windmill museum and went through very nice villages before returning to Amsterdam. This was an awesome tour with Marius.

Few minutes after returning to the terminal, we were met by our friends, Heinbloed and Bruno who stole us away for an overnight at Brussels where we ate Belgium food at the top of the Atomium. He is the person that gave us the Belgium flag color leis when we crossed into Belgium which we were very surprised to receive. They took us to Ghent and Bruges and returned us to Zeebruges to board our ship. Heinbloed and Bruno were awesome and the places they took us to, were awesome. How can we ever thank you for all you did for us?

I wish that NCL would have an overnight at either Amsterdam or Zeebruges. The only photos I've seen of the Atomium was during daylight and to see it at night was awesome. Plus spending time at Brussels and seeing the famous Mannequin Pis and the Palace area. Ghent is quieter than Bruges and I like it better because it had less tourist so wasn't as crowded as Bruges where the sidewalks were full of tourist.

At Lisbon, we joined a tour that one of the cruisers arranged for with "We hate tourism tours". The greatest adventure on this was to see Quinta da Regaleira at Sintra. This was another awesome place.

At Ponta Delgada Azores, Ricardo of Amazing Tours was our guide. I made arrangements with him in 2010 for this tour for 7 of us. He and Ponta Delgada was also awesome. What is said of him in cruise critic is true.

At Cape Canaveral, we joined Mary from our cruise who arranged for a shuttle to take 6 of us to the Orlando Airport. That was awesome of Mary to arrange that.

This was an awesome cruise. Am now looking forward to another cruise with the SUN.

Publication Date: 10/28/11
Read the Transatlantic ports review by paiagirl
More Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews